1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website or blog???

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by coolamazer, Oct 22, 2008.

I am planning to start a website/ blog whichever is appropriate. I would be adding regular contents. I would also like to add feature to allow people to ask me to write a review for their product or service. A kind of blog review service + general blogging. I would also like to put advertisements in my site. Is a jhoomla or drupal website better for this or should I sign up for a blog?
    If blog please suggest which one to use wordpress or blogger. I would buy a custom domain if I choose a blog service
    Advice greatly appreciated

coolamazer, Oct 22, 2008 IP
  2. magicinthedesert

magicinthedesert Peon

Best Answers:
    I would definitely purchase your own domain name and hosting service since it's a commercial endeavor. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend going with Blogger.

It sounds to me like WordPress would be a good development platform for this (I'm admittedly biased). I would look at using this review plugin for WordPress. I think it would really allow you to turn your review service into a distinct and professional looking service.

For advertisements, you can do a number of things like linking to affiliate products within your text. But if you want to do rotating banner ads, I like this plugin - adrotator.

WordPress has other plugins, including plugins for SEO, sitemap generation and Google analytics integration (those are just 3 among over 3000 more). And you can customize the permalink structure to create search engine friendly pages.

As far as Joomla or Drupal or concerned, you could definitely use those platforms, but my general opinion is they are a little more difficult to customize, learn and manage. But it's definitely possible to do what you want using either of those as a solution. Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider myself as an expert in either one, so definitely get a second opinion there.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about WordPress, as I'd be glad to help.

magicinthedesert, Oct 22, 2008 IP
  3. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    I have to second going with Wordpress. Simple to use, yet so many resources are available for it - plugins, designers, coders, etc.

Joomla can be pretty slick, but fewer people work with it and it IS a bit more complicated.

Artifexus, Oct 22, 2008 IP
  4. AviAtriX

AviAtriX Peon

Best Answers:
    i would go with wordpress too .. its beter for your needs .. joomla is prety heavy and you will need to go with vps if u get more than 5~6 k UV per day

AviAtriX, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  5. WebSolutions86

WebSolutions86 Peon

Best Answers:
    Go for wordpress, its simple, plus you can add lot of features by using plugins which are available for free.

Also there is pretty good support for wordpress.

Lot of themes for wordpress too. By using the plugin Wp-Super-Cache, you can make your wordpress site as fast as a static site.

WebSolutions86, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  6. staffsergeantpeterson

staffsergeantpeterson Member

Best Answers:
    I would take Wordpress over Blogger anyday... There are more resources out htere for WP.

staffsergeantpeterson, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  7. coolamazer

coolamazer Peon

Best Answers:
    I am lookimg forward to hosting with ewebguru or znetindia or brainpulse are they ok? is there any recommended hosts for wordpress in particular?

coolamazer, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  8. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Either one. It's not about the hammer. It's not about the nail. It's about the finished product. Use whatever meets your needs/plan.

internetmarketingiq, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  9. coolamazer

coolamazer Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok. I heard even if we install worpress on our website seperately hosted the database will be on wordpress servers. Is it true? Will that hurt SEO in any way?

coolamazer, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  10. magicinthedesert

magicinthedesert Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a hosting plan that allows you to set up a MySQL database, then I would do that. Then you'll have your database on your server. I haven't heard of databases being hosted on the WordPress servers.

magicinthedesert, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  11. staffsergeantpeterson

staffsergeantpeterson Member

Best Answers:
    staffsergeantpeterson, Oct 24, 2008 IP
  12. surfin4dough

surfin4dough Peon

Best Answers:
    Choose a domain name that is highly targeted to the keywords you will be emphasizing and I like wordpress. It is easy to use and very professional and functional at the same time. Drupal may take a long time to get used to as it can become complicated.

surfin4dough, Oct 24, 2008 IP