1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fireworks vs Photoshop

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by gameboyz, Nov 19, 2008.

Hi, I know Fireworks is better for web designing and stuff :D

But I couldn't for god's sake figure out how to use it :mad::mad:

Can photoshop do everything that Fireworks can do? Because I used the text tool to type some text, tried to transform>scale it but the text keeps screwing up (Im using CS4 trial). Then when I converted it to a symbol, I can't use the marquee tool to make a new layer of the selected area using copy. the thing keeps dissappearing.

Wheras i had no problems with photoshop :( Anybody can help me?

gameboyz, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  2. garrettheel

garrettheel Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure exactly what you're talking about... Photoshop CS3 is Fireworks' successor, as Adobe took over. Hence Photoshop is the better tool on the market at the moment.

garrettheel, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  3. Nora

Nora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I downloaded a trial of Fireworks once and couldn't get anything to work. I still don't know what it does or what it's for. I think it would be better for you to choose Photoshop. :)

Nora, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  4. Notorious

Notorious Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As i am not a professional designer, fireworks suits more to my needs.its easier to work with and a lot cheaper than photoshop.

Notorious, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  5. Ratchet

Ratchet Peon

Best Answers:
    Fireworks is just for optimizing images for the web.

Ratchet, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  6. garrettheel

garrettheel Peon

Best Answers:
    ^ No, it isn't. Fireworks was a graphic editor by Macromedia which was taken over by Adobe. Photoshop CS3 & CS4 are both newer then Fireworks and are much better featured and better for more advanced editing.

garrettheel, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  7. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use Fireworks for web design, and can't figure out how to use Photoshop for the life of me! They have it at school and I just couldn't figure it out, so I'll stick with Fireworks as it's much easier and I can still doing everything I want to :)

kiteguy123, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  8. Divisive Cottonwood

Divisive Cottonwood Peon

Best Answers:
    I have Photoshop 7 and Fireworks CS3

I presume Photoshop has improved improved since version 7, but I find Fireworks easier to handle and with more features.

With Photoshop 7 some stuff you have to use workarounds to achieve - I would imagine that these were ironed out in later versions.

Divisive Cottonwood, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  9. gameboyz

gameboyz Guest

Best Answers:
    OMG LOL! Same here, only I can't figure out Fireworks! :D

Okay I used the "U" key to draw a rectangle on Fireworks. Then I wanted to use the marquee tool to select an area but I get the "no-entry" cursor. So frustrating! :mad:

gameboyz, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  10. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're saying what I think you are, then what you need to do is click the marquee tool again and just click. Then the cursor will come back :)

I just can't understand PS. There are too many buttons and things that I thought would be obvious aren't. In FW there aren't that many functions, so it's easier to manage. But then, each for their own :)

kiteguy123, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  11. VarriaStudios

VarriaStudios Member

Best Answers:
    881,000 for photoshop cs4 tutorials results from Google

you might want to start there, the GUI is very user friendly and one of the strongest application to use for graphic designers.

VarriaStudios, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  12. RichardG87

RichardG87 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Macromedia Fireworks almost start to finish when designing and slicing a website, and I’m not sure why it hasn’t become more popular among web designers. It may well be just a matter of habit, sticking to the program you know best, but there was a time when I used Photoshop, Illustrator and Image Ready to design for the web, until I was forced to learn Fireworks overnight in order to finish a deserted half-finished website designed and sliced in Fireworks.

RichardG87, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  13. wendywoo2805

wendywoo2805 Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually think there are fors and against on both programs, photoshop is definately the more complex and versatile of the two programs, but there are actually some things which can be done so much quicker and easier in fireworks. I have also found that fireworks is much easier to navigate for someone who knows very little, though as I become more skilled I move more and more towards using photoshop for everything.

wendywoo2805, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  14. P2Host

P2Host Guest

Best Answers:
    Fireworks wins for speed.

Photoshop wins by quaily and the rest......

so i guess photoshop

P2Host, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  15. Phasm

Phasm Peon

Best Answers:
    Fireworks is NOWHERE near as powerful as Photoshop. I've used both extensively and fireworks is only optimized for .png single layer images which served it's purposes.....5+ years ago.

Phasm, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  16. stephen421

stephen421 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop cs4 can do anything fireworks can and much much more. Photoshop is considered the most powerful software in the world.

stephen421, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  17. cc2365

cc2365 Member

Best Answers:
    I have no problems with using Fireworks. It has most of the features I need.

cc2365, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  18. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Fireworks is by far 1000x easier than Photoshop. I took a class on designing in Photoshop and I passed but I never really retained much from it. I messed around in Fireworks, and learned it no trouble at all!

Plus Fireworks works very well with Dreamweaver and Flash Professional :)

Stroh, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  19. campolar

campolar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using fireworks since i started designing....Macromedia handled it well...and as adobe has taken it i just hope they dont make it like they hav to photoshop...all the stuff, u need to FIND them...in fireworks there'r on the face...and besides fireworks is a vector designing software and photoshop was made for photo editting and drawing...so if u r looking to make vectors use fireworks (illustrator is too hard to use aswell).

and in fireworks u can save the file as PSD(photoshop), AI (illustrator) and other adobe stuff if (i think) u hav them installed...

as a designer, i use fireworks and if my work is to be given in a layered format, i can giv multiple formats...

campolar, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  20. ElementalDesigns

ElementalDesigns Peon

Best Answers:
    The number of people who use photoshop is much greater than the number of fireworks users.

ElementalDesigns, Nov 21, 2008 IP