1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which CMS are you using

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by steadymarvin, Apr 12, 2006.

?

Which CMS system do you like best

1. Joomia

49 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. Xoops

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Drupal

33 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. Other (please say which)

85 vote(s)
    49.7%
  1. Ramphix.NET

Ramphix.NET Banned

Best Answers:
    100% subdreamer

Ramphix.NET, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  2. yisou

yisou Banned

Best Answers:
    I use joomla, but I still dont know how to contral the sef function, my web space doesnt support it, I think.

yisou, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  3. natsirtm

natsirtm Active Member

Best Answers:
    did you rename the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess?
    if that didn't work you can look into SEF plugins.

sef advance (commercial)
    http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,362/Itemid,35/

404_sef (open source)
    http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,115/Itemid,35/

natsirtm, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  4. mariush

mariush Peon

Best Answers:
    Custom CMS on each site, very basic but enough for my needs. I'm also lucky with the isp, it is pro-active and automatically ads temporary or permanent filters against bots trying to hack sites on their servers (functionality is not affected ever).

mariush, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  5. natsirtm

natsirtm Active Member

Best Answers:
    well i just figured out that (@ least for 404_sef) you need to have the built in sef function enabled.

i would also suggest the joomla sef patch found @ joomlatwork.com

natsirtm, May 1, 2006 IP
  6. Jack Squat

Jack Squat Peon

Best Answers:
    running joomla with sef urls
    joomla is the only cms i have used but i can tell you that finding help/support forums is a snap. there are also a ton of component addons like the sef module, image manager, sitemap generators, blog tools, guest book....etc
    oh yeah, the adsense module allows you to pick the position of the banner and thats is it, you don't have to enter any code (except your account number).
    my most recent addition was a bridge that connected the database from main site with the forums so the user accounts work on both the site and the forum.

JS

Jack Squat, May 1, 2006 IP
  7. mattr2110

mattr2110 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I spent some time looking at several cms sytems. I went with joomla. Joomla is by far the most user friendly. I didn't my get the site created exactly how I wanted but hopefully I'll get it someday. Joomla has lots of issues but its still the easiest to work with.

mattr2110, May 1, 2006 IP
  8. denilson

denilson Guest

Best Answers:
    Joomla is the best that i have seen ...

denilson, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  9. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    I just upgraded a couple of sites to Joomla 1.09 and it is running very smooth.

http://www.joomla.org

Open source software with a lot of talented team members.

TikTok, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  10. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    Many people use the 404SEF addon in Joomla for search-engine friendly URLs, but another nice component is OpenSEF (http://www.open-sef.org).

The backend of this component makes it very easy to make changes to existing URLs.

TikTok, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  11. deronsizemore

deronsizemore Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer to use TextPattern. I've tried A LOT and Textpattern seems to be one of the easiest to use and has for the most part everything I've needed right from the start with no modifications. If you do need some extras there are TONS of extensions and mods out there for it.

check out (www.textpattern.com) for the official site.

Here is a collection of sites using Textpattern so maybe give you an idea of what can be done. (http://txpmag.com/all_sites)

deronsizemore, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  12. richardevanslee

richardevanslee Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Movable Type and WordPress.

I've been using MT for years, when there were few other worthwhile options. I'm fluent in the tags I need and via includes and a few plugins I'm able to do whatever I want. It powers about thirty sites for me on three different servers.

Recently I've been using WP for smaller sites that I never expect to grow past a certain size. I'm using it to power three sites for now.

I'm very fond of TextPattern, which I used in its early days but I don't want to have to keep track of three different packages.

Richard

richardevanslee, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  13. vanessa

vanessa Peon

Best Answers:
    PostNuke because it is easy to setup, easy to customize and secure.

vanessa, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  14. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am with others.

I usually code them myself. Rather then reading the code of someone else and then integrating the whole template into it. It is good to code a new one myself. :D

Nick_Mayhem, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  15. nikolaaa

nikolaaa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mysql version of cutephp is best for me

nikolaaa, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  16. Grubb

Grubb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mambo, because it was the first I installed and I liked it.

Grubb, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  17. DonkeyTeeth

DonkeyTeeth Peon

Best Answers:
    I like Drupal the best, but I also like to do customization.

It's probably the least aesthetically attractive after a basic install, but the module/hooks system and the ability to define multiple custom content types make it very flexible in the long run. I looked at Joomla and Xaraya and they both had some impressive features. But I started with CMSs under the assumption that a lot of coding and CSS work would be needed to get any kind of custom look, and I think Drupal offers the most open architecture to do that customization.

Joomla certainly seems to have gotten quite a following here...definitely sounds worth continuing to experiment with.

DonkeyTeeth, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  18. MrMercutio

MrMercutio Peon

Best Answers:
    I do like Joomla, but I find it too rigid. What if you want to do present your content in any other way than the standard one? What if you want to publish as a magazine, or as a classified site? Then you have to dig deep into the core files to change them. But for a quick, out of the box site that looks good Joomla is the best.

But if you want more control, there are better ones out there. Drupal is one such option, but I don't like Drupal because I've tried to install it three times now and there's always some module that doesn't work well - and I have to spend hours tracking down errors on the net.

If I want more control of the result I use ModX at www modxcms com (I'm not allowed to link to it, so you have to reconstruct the link) instead. It's quite powerful and flexible.

MrMercutio, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  19. richardevanslee

richardevanslee Peon

Best Answers:
    I was interested in ModX but ...

The site's home page talks about ease of use. The forums don't seem to reflect that. Perhaps because ModX is still in the teething stages ... ?

Richard

richardevanslee, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  20. MrMercutio

MrMercutio Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's still in Beta. But I find that your objection is true for Drupal as well. It is true for a lot of CMS:s. The forums and the documentation are abysmal, and you basically have to know the system you adopt beforehand. However, given that, I find that it was easier to get into ModX than Drupal. These are very subjective observations, of course, and what I said is true for me. Perhaps others have a different experience.

MrMercutio, Jun 10, 2006 IP