1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Set Up CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by LostInCode, Nov 20, 2008.

Hello all, downloaded Drupal the other day but really don't understand how to use it. So far all I have is a website that I want the cms to work with and a drupal folder full of php files. So my question is how do I go about making the site use the cms?

Sorry for such a newb question, but this really is over my head, thanks for your help in advance.

LostInCode, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  2. LostInCode

LostInCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Forgot to mention but the CMS is just needed to update text and images.

3. od3n

od3n Active Member

Best Answers:
    these link might be usefull for you.

handbooks
    get started

thanks!

od3n, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  4. fiodor

fiodor Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Create database
    2. Install Drupal
    3. Start working with Drupal

There are a lot of tutorials available about this. You can ever open installation text file in Drupal folder.

fiodor, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  5. funa

funa Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, the best solution would be to search the web, e.g. ask Google. There are a LOT of resources for Drupal and other CMS systems.

funa, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  6. LostInCode

LostInCode Peon

Best Answers:
    All i seem to read though is how to create a site through drupal (blogs etc), I already have a complete site online that I want to update via a CMS, is this easy to set up for 50 pages or so.

7. einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if you already have a website online but you want to update it using Drupal then you need to convert that site to a Drupal site. The way CMSs work is that you use the CMS to create the website.

einsteinsboi, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  8. fiodor

fiodor Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want quick solution do it this way.

Download xampp or wamp to create a local server for your drupal website. If you are using windows download wamp as clean urls are enabled on wamp after installation.

Create mysql database in phpmyadmin.

Install drupal next and configure it the way you want.

Download additional modules next if your need in any.

Start to create content or just copy content from your existing website. If you are using html pages on your website just copy content with all tags.

When will be finished with content export mysql database. Create new database on remote server and import all data to it.

Upload all drupal folders and files via ftp to your remote server. Change database details in settings.php file and start your drupal website.

If you have about 50 pages it is possible to do all in about 3-4 hours if you are familiar with Drupal. Other ways will take some time to get used to it.

fiodor, Nov 20, 2008 IP