1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jooomla: Is it SEO friendly?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Ballz, Jun 12, 2006.

I will come straight to the point.

The links that joomla creates for pages has Item And Content Id, instead of lets say Key-word links.

Wouldn't this bring down a few points???

I would like to know if there is anyway to overcome this.

Thanks in advance

Ballz, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  2. ColinR

ColinR Guest

Best Answers:
    I think their is a setting in the admin section where you can simply select SEO but I just installed it yesterday and I'm trying to figure out how it works first.

ColinR, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  3. Ballz

Ballz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I installed it too, and I am still in the researching phase. Once I am absolutely certain that it can be made very SEO friendly, I will start devoting more time to it.

I will check the admin panel right away and see if they have something for SEO.

Thanks

Ballz, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  4. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    You can change to dynamic pages in the global configuration, and change the htaccess.txt to .htaccess.

Then you can use components such as 404SEF or Open-SEF to control the user-friendly, SEO-friendly URLs. You can change the names of the links, etc.

TikTok, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  5. ColinR

ColinR Guest

Best Answers:
    Are these plugin's or extensions you mean? Sorry only installed it yesterday and trying to get familiar with it.

ColinR, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  6. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm Peon

Best Answers:
    404SEF and OpenSEF are components that allow you to add "user friendly" URLs, yes.

However, by renaming htaccess.txt and enabling SEF in the global configuration, you get basic SEF straight away. Basically, each parameter variable that is normally added to the URL in the GET portion of the URL is made in to a directory, hence having the appearance of static pages (just in weirdly named directories).

But yeah, those others allow you assign, for example, /products/widget.html to a particular path.

I have a funny feeling that OpenSEF actually does part of this for you straight up, actually, by enabling you to go to something like /articles/articletitle.html automatically, but that's only a 'maybe'. I thought I read that somewhere...

TwistMyArm, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  7. ColinR

ColinR Guest

Best Answers:
    good information..I'll try it tonight..thankyou.

ColinR, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  8. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    Open SEF gives you some flexibility. You can have an URL that goes:

/section/category/title
    /category/title
    /title

It can add the name (the SEO friendly name) of your sections and categories, or you can leave them out.

I'd like to see something that could add the date, like in the format, 20060606, for example, so that Google News could pick up the URL.

TikTok, Jun 12, 2006 IP
  9. mattr2110

mattr2110 Active Member

Best Answers:
    mattr2110, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  10. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I use openSEF on my income taxes website and it works great. Haven't had any issues at all... so yeah, Joomla _can_ be SEF if you want it to be.

fsmedia, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  11. chad@hwequipment.com

chad@hwequipment.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I use open sef and it works great. The only problem is if you have another component installed it needs to work with that component and in order to do that you need to have a sef_ext.php file to allow open sef to work with the component properly and create the search engine friendly urls that you want.

chad@hwequipment.com, Jun 13, 2006 IP