1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1 and 1 hosting - BEWARE !

Discussion in 'General Business' started by danielacton, Sep 2, 2016.

Hi All,

I just wanted to warn anyone about using the company 1&1 https://www.1and1.co.uk for hosting websites or registering domain names.

They are scammers and demand money with menaces, there are many people complaining about 1&1’s tactics on the internet such as the here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630553

They are trying to charge me £94.70 for the the renewal of domain names that I did not renew.

I had cancelled my whole hosting account with them along with the domain names but because they ‘raised’ the invoice before I had cancelled (note: not renewed the domain names, they simply ‘raised’ the invoice) they claim that I still owe £94.70.

It’s like me raising an invoice for some me to do some landscaping work, then the customer decides that they don’t want me to proceed with the work but I still try to get them to pay in full for the work I have not done and not going to do!!!

I pointed out to 1&1 that:

The fact that the invoice was raised before they received my cancellation request is irrelevant.

When they raise an invoice, it is nothing more than an internal administration process performed by them and it has absolutely nothing to do with any goods or services supplied (or in this case not supplied)

I have read all about your scam and I will not tolerate you demanding money with menaces.

Your automatic renewal of domain name registrations, contravenes Nominet regulations, and is not enforceable in English courts as it is based on German contract law.

Also, 1&1 cant get their story straight.

In one email they said:
    "Please take note that the invoice was raised prior to the cancellation date. It means that the invoice is valid and it needs to be settled."

Then in a later email 1&1 said:
    "The domains were already renewed before you have requested for them to be cancelled that is why an invoice was generated. Additionally, domain names are non-refundable as per our T&C."

Please avoid using 1&1, yes they are cheap but thats not the point.

danielacton, Sep 2, 2016 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't know if it works where you are at, but you can try to reverse the payment by calling your credit card issuer (if you haven't done it yet). I reversed a few erroneous payments in the past. If, indeed, you can prove to the CC issuer that the cancellation was made before the renewal date, they will listen.

qwikad.com, Sep 2, 2016 IP
  3. danielacton

danielacton Peon

Best Answers:
    Luckily they have not received payment. It was set by direct debit but I closed my bank account so they are now chasing for money that I don't owe them for services not provided or wanted!

I wish I had searched on Google 14 years ago to see about 1&1 before I signed up, the internet is full of horror stories

danielacton, Sep 2, 2016 IP
  4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That depends on the terms of service which you probably had to agree to. The default on many domain registrars is to auto renew and the ones that offer a super cheap upfront price usually have a higher than average renewal price. They are in business to make money, not lose it.

I took advantage of a $1.99 first year domain registration deal several years ago (or was it $0.99?). 30 days before the expiration of the domain, the registrar renewed the domain for one year and slapped a $30+ fee on me. As it was 30 days before expiration, I transferred the domain to another registrar (which I was planning to do anyway) and got a free year extension as a result. So not only did they not get the $35 (I did not read in the terms they were going to renew 30 days ahead of expiration when I bought it otherwise I would have transferred out much sooner), I got a free year. :)

Now I don't bother with promo gimmicks at all. It's not worth it in the end. I like consistency and no surprises.

billzo, Sep 2, 2016 IP
  5. Tom Watts

Tom Watts Member

Best Answers:
    I've never liked 1and1 - but I've had these issues with other companies too, and can confirm that if you contact your credit card provider you can get the charges reversed.

If they're just chasing you, usually they'll just bug you for a little bit and stop bothering once they've heard "no" enough times.

Tom Watts, Sep 3, 2016 IP
  6. atinga

atinga Active Member

Best Answers:
    1and1 may even sell it to a debt collection agency and they will use what ever resources to hunt you down and make you pay.

atinga, Sep 9, 2016 IP
  7. NuWebHosting

NuWebHosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    They are not afraid to take your account to collections if need being to collect their money. The long road is, well it can damage your credit score. Good luck to you and I truly feel for you.

NuWebHosting, Oct 4, 2016 IP