1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

21st Century Netiquette

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by neterslandreau, Mar 17, 2005.

I'm old skool (thanks Mella for giving me the jargon to be kewl :)), but I'm learning real fast about how the 'new' internet works..

I worked at a university in the area back in '94 on the help desk. One of the professors that worked in an office one or 2 doors from mine was writing down the unwritten rules for "netiquette". This is all really old school! But good manners are immortal and Arlene's articles are still very relevant today.

I think the 21st century has given us a refinement to the basic moral values of being respectful of each other and of the work behind everything we see and experience on the web. In writing this, I realize that I'm breaching a subject that is pretty taboo because a certain TOS broadly forbids any mention of the topic so I must post a disclaimer:
    The opinions expressed in this article are of the author's and by no means shared by neither the management nor the employees of [insert company or individual name here].
    What is wrong with clicking on a banner or ad that is displayed on a site you frequent often. C'mon, the talent in creating a site that provides a service that doesn't cost anything, deserves a click once in a while. If the ad was relevant enough, you may end up buying. It's happened to me.

I am by no means condoning the violation of any TOS.

neterslandreau, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Nothing wrong at all, I click on ads all the time, fact is that folks are afraid to click here if they are in the rev. share program because their publisher number may come up and get them banned.

I wish it was not like that but it is the way it is around here.

anthonycea, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I have no idea of what you are talking about, neterslandreau. What banners are you talking about? What does it have to do with netiquette?
    Not being rude, I just have no idea of what you are saying

fryman, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  4. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    Ain't that the truth? There are times I've waited for weeks before I seeng the ad I wanted to click on while in a topic of mine show up again..

Anthony, a little OT perhaps, but I heard a rumor that flyman is really just one of your alter-egos. Is that true? ;)

fryman likes this.
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    No Fryman is just another member here, we are not the same person :p

Just have had some minor problems that are overwith and it is time to move forward and do better tomorrow :eek:

6. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Something tells me that more people are losing money than are making money with content advertising.

Crazy_Rob, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    You mean come "on" guys, right Rob :confused:

8. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a phone call today from a guy who found me on the web and was thinking of spending a couple grand with me. Being the egotist that I am, I told him I created the site and asked him his opinion. He thought it was great but he had one question: why do all my adsense ads have my competitors? I told him the "truth" (my day job is sales.. you decide ;)), my best customer is an informed customer and after you visit them, come back and we'll hook you up. The deal closed then and there. (who knows? he may even have clicked on one of my ads.. I'll have to remember to send him a christmas card)

BTW, all my traffic is organically grown and I use no artificial hormones or fertilizers.

9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Adsense is not the best option in some cases if it is costing you money by sending customers to the competition.

The linking Google toolbar is a great danger for content providers as they don't even know when a user hits their site that the user may be directed to the competition based on the content on their page. :confused:

Life and business sucks sometimes, no one ever said it was fair, bounce a check when you have no money, what happens, your banker who has Billions charges you an extra 30 Bucks because you are broke already :( :eek:

10. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    No, I'm saying that ADVERTISERS are losing money. Not publishers.

Crazy_Rob, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Sure a publisher can lose money, if you lose one customer that could have made you a $10,000.00 sale because he clicked on your competitions ad from your content you can sure lose money as a publisher.

12. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    I get my share and I like to think that I get the cream of the crop. If I lose a customer who clicked out on a banner, phuck 'em. I made a dime ;)
    The amount specified above is a generalization and by no means implies that any owner, manager, or employee of [insert website/advertiser code] is revealing possible income.

13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Funny Stuff, but the bottom line is the bottom line, if you do not screen out certain ads it is your own fault because you can with ADSENSE.

Ask these guys how to do it if you do not know how :p :eek: :p

14. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    Last summer I was buying traffic and it paid off pretty well. I think there's enough business out there that we all benefit. You get to the top, not with your advertising, but with your product.

15. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol you're welcome honey.. :D :D eeck, My name seems to appear in every post I look at, at the moment :eek: :eek:

MELLA, Mar 18, 2005 IP