1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 Reasons Why I Failed at Online Marketing (& how I turned it round)

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Chris Munch, Aug 23, 2010.

Firstly before I continue let me state that I have made my online biz a success, but when I first started out I struggled for 2-3 years, working endless hours and not earning very much, sound familiar?

I thought I would share how I screwed up to begin with:

Reason 1. Too Many Ideas & No Focus

This is no doubt the biggest screw up I made. I was really excited when I decided to start trying to build my own online business and saw opportunity everywhere. New ideas were flooding to me and everyday brought new inspiration.

So I would always be trying out a new idea and running a few projects at a time.

The RESULT: I got nowehere. Any project takes months, if not years to see through (especially when you are new to the industry) and if you spread your time thinly between multiple projects it takes way way longer.

Think about it, you may not earn anything until after 6 months of a project, and if you do 4 projects at the same time (taking you 4x as long) it could be 4 years before you see results by which time you are drained and your idea is probably out of date.

Focusing on one thing turned my business around. Until I did that I failed time and time again, and see countless people doing the same everyday. All those I see who are successful are very good at focusing. Many just have one site and that is all.

2. Blew All My Cash

It's easy to spend money when you start out. I hired web designers, developers etc. but because I did not know what I was doing I wasted money.

Sure I can justify it by saying that I learned a lot from it. But I could have learned most of it without spending money, and if I had waited until I had more knowledge I could have put that money to good use.

You don't need much money at all to start a web business so keep hold of what you have got for when you really know what you are doing.

Don't be like me and waste thousands, and then struggle for years with no money.

If you do spend money spend it on education to begin with...

3. Refused to Pay for Education

When I started I wanted everything for free. I thought free forums like DP were good enough for me and anything I needed to know could be found online.

I was wrong.

Blogs and forums contain a lot of mis-information. There's exceptions with a few respected blogs like SEOMoz and Problogger, but even then the best information is kept behind closed doors.

Once I started purchasing courses, (and more importantly seeing those courses through and not getting distracted) I started earning a lot more money.

4. Did not Follow My Passion

I started out with a business model that looked easy and profitable. I kind of stumbled into it after buying an over-priced site on eBay.

I worked on it for months and put a huge amount of effort into it. I got up to $800/month and after realizing I could now make this work for a real business it just put me off.

I was starting to get the money I'd wanted, but I hated the job. I didn't like the industry I was in and just could not get passionate about it. I decided to drop the idea completely.

I jumped onto something else which I had more of a passion for, and stuck that out instead, but could have saved myself about a year of hard work by doing that to begin with.

Follow your passion!

5. Not Understanding People

I was very young when I first started getting into an online business, and while I wasn't a social reject or anything, I didn't quite have the people skills I do now which are essential for business.

Not understanding people caused me to lose staff, not keep people motivated, miss out on business deals, and end up paying more for things. Not only that but I was arrogant in thinking how I approached people was fine.

I'm now insanely better at negotiating, motivating staff and all the other people skills that help you run a good business.

I've still got a long long way to go with these skills, but just recognizing its something you need to work on will take you a long way.

Chris Munch, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  2. Mioni Krakel

Mioni Krakel Peon

Best Answers:
    Very sound advice, thanks for sharing!

Mioni Krakel, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  3. phiROSSophy

phiROSSophy Peon

Best Answers:
    Good thread! I think the #1 reason people fail is because they don't stick with something long enough. There are no quick fixes.. just Rome's to be built!

phiROSSophy, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  4. haiwin

haiwin Peon

Best Answers:
    4. Did not Follow My Passion
    this is point for me

haiwin, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  5. lahirukk

lahirukk Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the useful tips !

lahirukk, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  6. rkallit

rkallit Peon

Best Answers:
    really useful & interesting!!!

rkallit, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  7. jaakko

jaakko Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for tips

jaakko, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  8. Kieran.

Kieran. Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of them are the reasons why my last site failed =3

Kieran., Aug 24, 2010 IP
  9. gotlivechat

gotlivechat Member

Best Answers:
    Reason 1 is common; too many ideas/projects leads to all of them being done half-a**.

gotlivechat, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  10. IoWn3rU

IoWn3rU Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a great and very honest list. I feel that #1 is probably the one that gets everyone, including me. I bought at least 10 domains and tried to work on all of them. Needless to say, that failed.

IoWn3rU, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  11. jewel3000

jewel3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Really good insights, Chris! I'd say that #1 is my greatest challenge, although I've pared down my multiple projects substantially in the past year. Focus is necessary to do 1 thing absolutely right & make it successful.

jewel3000, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  12. thetop1

thetop1 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes..i think i dont focus... :(
    thx for the tips!

thetop1, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  13. mal129

mal129 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You talk about education. What kind of courses are you talking about? Examples?

mal129, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  14. Jontish

Jontish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Inspiring and I think I recall..I did many of these mistakes myself and I'm still doing them. Not living as I learn.. - working on it!

Jontish, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  15. chrkadmin

chrkadmin Peon

Best Answers:
    I still think that experimenting with different methods and techniques in the very beginning is important. The problem comes in when you can't settle on one or two things to try and see through. But the educational value of messing around with different stuff at first was invaluable to me. It's especially helpful today - as it's easier to recognize if the latest and greatest 'system' is crap or not.

On the other hand, doing things correctly, for long term gain, takes work - lot's of it, but it pays off much better in the long run.

chrkadmin, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  16. candy.joomlashine

candy.joomlashine Peon

Best Answers:
    Really thank chris-tew. I've read it for several times and I see that it is very easy to be trapped in 1 of 5 points you showed above. Even when we can do this part well, we may be failed at other parts. especially when we are young.

You start your career when you are young - yes, there are many youngsters start their careers. You have ideas and ambition - yes, there doesn't lack such kind of people out there. But you can see what were you wrong and know how to fix them - Not many people can do that. I really appreciate it!

Bless you and your business.

And I'd love to hear your experience more if you feel free to share them. :)

candy.joomlashine, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  17. Danaldinho

Danaldinho Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very good read.

Danaldinho, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  18. Falter

Falter Member

Best Answers:
    Probably #1 and #5 are the most common :)

Falter, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  19. Chris Munch

Chris Munch Peon

Best Answers:
    This post actually inspired me to write a book about it. See my sig.

Chris Munch, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  20. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We know. that's what your plan was for this whole topic. lol

Laceygirl, Sep 29, 2010 IP