1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

500 MPH Tidal Wave

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Dec 28, 2004.

When I went to work yesterday with my Redneck mates on the brick laying crew I asked them if they were aware of the Tidal wave that resulted from the massive earthquake in the ocean?

Their response was, we never heard about it.

I told them to look at the newspaper in the vending machine and they would see that 26,000 were killed in 10 nations.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041228/ap_on_re_as/quake_tidal_wave

I then asked them if they watched TV or seen any news, they said no and I asked if they did anything beside hunt, lay bricks, drive pickup trucks and sleep.

Funny that some folks are so out of touch with reality and live in their own little world day to day.

What do you members think of this?

The news came out today saying that Hawaii and Alaska and California could be vulnerable to this also. :confused:

anthonycea, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  2. msaad

msaad Peon

Best Answers:
    Here in Egypt, we all heard about it of course. It is a horrible disaster. The worst earthquake in 40 years. I am really sorry for them. This is the worst thing that could be happening at Christmas.

Donations are being collected everywhere. Those interested should donate something. Some of the countries affected are really really poor.

msaad, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  3. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Here in cali we are of course vulnerable to such an event, but we actually have plans in place for warning people and responding to a disaster. (I actually did a project for the disaster recovery unit in LA a while back).

On the east coast, there is no such warning system in place, and little in the way of planning.

The thing about a tidal wave is that its going so fast, you see it and its on you. If you don't have a warning system out there, you're toast. If the epicenter is 100 miles off the coast, you have maybe 10 minutes to get the word out and at least get people off the beach. Hopefully this news will scare people into leaving the beach when they feel an earthquake from now on.

We had some 40-50 foot waves on the coast about a decade ago. They took down a pier, but they were nowhere near as fast as this. They never even cleared the beach.

nevetS, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  4. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I reside on south east asia and fortunately we are not affected by the recent killer tsunami but it was scary coz we are very close to thailand and indonesia.

melfan, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  5. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I would venture to say that *any* coastal area could be vulnerable; even if it never happened. Never say never.....After all, that part of the world supposedly wasn't supposed to be vulnerable.

And the death toll is 33000+; at least according to CNN website; my mom said it's 40000.

flawebworks, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  6. rvarcher

rvarcher Peon

Best Answers:
    rvarcher, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  7. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    everyone is vulnerable. Earthquakes happen everywhere, and volcanoes everywhere else.

subnet_rx, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  8. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:

Countries inside the zone of "ring of fire" are more prone to earthquakes

melfan, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  9. amberstar702

amberstar702 Peon

Best Answers:
    Anthony, another thing "these people" do is drink a LOT of beer. :rolleyes:
    Some people seem to spend their lives under a rock.

I see that you live in Florida. One of the reasons I moved from South Florida two years ago was fear of hurricanes. For most of my adult life, I have had nightmares about tidal waves. These nightmares stopped when we moved here to Las Vegas. I am very pleased knowing I live 2,163 ft. above sea level as opposed to 35 ft. in Miami. And as survivors of Hurricane Andrew, my family experienced PTSD every summer. That too has gone away. I know you can never completely control your environment but you can cut down on some possible natural disasters.

amberstar702, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but with this Bush economy, Jethro canT bu no as much beer, he gota buy gas from that Cheney company to get down younder to work, ain't got no money to by beer. :mad:

do de do do, do de do do........ :p

anthonycea, Dec 29, 2004 IP
  11. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    My country already sent some help... I'm happy for that... Now they should remove everyone from Iraq...

eduardomaio, Dec 29, 2004 IP
  12. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No place on earth is absolutely safe.

this time it was the coastline, next time it might be the towns, then the mountains, and so on...

For now that's the way it is.

PS: in this case flying, although feared by many people, was safer!

uca, Dec 29, 2004 IP
  13. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    what really brings it home is seeing the video camera footage of people filming others getting swept away by the mass of water. sad really.

the toll is up to something like 80,000 now.
    scary.

what else aren't we ready for? we as in the world, not just the US.

Such Great Heights, Dec 29, 2004 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Our own Foxy started an aid fund to help the victims of this major disaster, if you want to help those who are still alive and have lost everything check this thread out.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=7026

You can give a dollar of whatever moves you to help those who can not help themselves.

Foxy can be trusted with your donation, help Digital Point help these victims and help Foxy make this a success.

Thanks guys and gals.

anthonycea, Dec 29, 2004 IP
  15. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    nevetS, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  16. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i actually watched that documentary, t'was interesting..
    but not as much as the one on Yellowstone Park...which is set to erupt and destroy the planet :eek:

Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  17. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's ironic that the loss in life was so incredibly high compared to the recent Florida hurricanes but the amount of damage in dollars isn't nearly as disproportional. It's a shame that poorer countries can't afford to be as prepared.

Help Desk, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  18. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    This Tsunami disaster started on 26 December and it's been the top story in our news here with the numbers of dead and missing on the increase every day. Last night the thought ocurred to me "I wonder how much coverage this is getting in the States?" and from what you're saying, Anthony, it doesn't matter how much coverage there is, some folks just don't seem to see/hear/know/care.

Anyway...

Gem's right about Yellowstone NP, check out the story of "Super Volcanoes"... http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/1999/supervolcanoes.shtml
    It's basically a vast "bubble" of lava waiting to go pop and, if it does, we're all outta here :eek:

The scary paragraph is number four...

Lever, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  19. amberstar702

amberstar702 Peon

Best Answers:
    These two possible disasters are pretty frightening but obviously, there are no preventive measures that can be taken. There does not seem to be any warning systems either. So - all we can do is leave the monitoring up to the scientists and go about our daily business.

If the Yellowstone volcano erupts, I would NOT want to be one of the survivors if the entire planet is affected. However, I do not plan to live my life "waiting for the other shoe to fall." :eek:

amberstar702, Dec 30, 2004 IP
  20. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    We need a giant cork.

nevetS, Dec 30, 2004 IP