1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

6 Tips for Building a More Creative Company

Discussion in 'General Business' started by candy.joomlashine, Sep 25, 2010.

What good is it being creative in your job if your company isn’t equipped to accept and use the innovative thinking?

The October 2010 issue of Inc. Magazine features a four-page, pull-out section called “How To: Hire For Creativity.” It is part of its series offering readers a “monthly guide to policies, procedures, and practices.” The article provides ideas on how to attract and interview creative candidates. That is terrific. However, this advice is only helpful if you have a company culture receptive to transformational ideas.

Though there is a small part in the article warning not to put people in “an environment that squashes creativity,” there is no mention of building a culture that allows creativity and innovation to thrive.

The lack of creativity at your office isn’t due to “not enough creative people,” but a company culture that resists change. This is what stifles remarkable ideas.

Creativity means change and exploring different ways of doing things. Change scares people. And fear can paralyze.

Most of have had some great idea we had to fix or improve something at work. And, upon bringing it up to the boss or supervisor, we had it summarily shot down. If that happens enough, we stop trying.

Wait, here’s a better example … Remember those beginning few weeks when you first started your job? Remember when you were fresh and saw opportunity for improvement around every corner? All the things you wanted to fix? Knew you could fix?

Remember at the nine-month mark when knew enough to to realize you couldn’t fix things as you hoped? Eventually, you accepted that the machine just grinds on, and you gave up on fixing. You end up spending your creative energy finding workarounds to get things done in spite of it.

I don’t intend to sound grim. That creative energy should be used for progress, not to do slightly better than the status quo. But this is the reality in many organizations. And it doesn’t have to be.

Why does this happen?

At many companies, job security is accomplished by doing your job while maintaining the status quo. A taller tree, with roots. On the other hand, the creative company rewards growth through improvement and change. A better sail.

Yes, I’m advocating change for the sake of change. Your industry is changing, the marketplace is changing, how we reach our customers is changing, what our customers demand is changing—why would your company stay the same?

It takes a mind shift across the whole organization to make real change. This is typically a result of a strong, dynamic champion and leader. (This could be you!)
    How do you build a culture for creative thinking?

1. Recognize and reward change makers. Let it be known that it literally pays to make a difference.

2. Allow mistakes. Build awareness and encourage learning from mistakes. Making mistakes means you’re learning faster.

3. Be assumption intolerant. Just because something is the way it is, does it mean it has to be that way?

4. Admit when something is broken, and do something about it. “It has always been done that way” isn’t justification for broken.

5. Allow constructive critique of any part of the business. At the same time, encourage solution suggestions, not just pointing-out the problem.

6. Encourage mingling between departments. We learn best practices from others as well as understand the bigger picture of how different gears of the company fit together.

If your culture does already foster a culture that encourages change, the above article will be helpful.

Source: http://www.mpdailyfix.com/6-tips-for-building-a-more-creative-company/
    If creativity is stifled at your company, use the advice in the Inc. Magazine article to first hire a senior leader capable of leading change.

candy.joomlashine, Sep 25, 2010 IP
  2. candy.joomlashine

candy.joomlashine Peon

Best Answers:
    Not so many tips. But they are useful I think. So I let it here for you guys :)

candy.joomlashine, Sep 25, 2010 IP
  3. jhng000

jhng000 Peon

Best Answers:
    great post. i've learned a lot from your tips.

jhng000, Sep 25, 2010 IP
  4. Tom_Lee

Tom_Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    For more creative company you have to more updated in your business and market situations.

Tom_Lee, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  5. wolfbaron

wolfbaron Peon

Best Answers:
    looks like a good read
    will read later :)

thanks

wolfbaron, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  6. candy.joomlashine

candy.joomlashine Peon

Best Answers:
    @ jhng000 & wolfbaron: You are welcomed! :)
    @ Tom_Lee: Yes, I got it.

candy.joomlashine, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  7. Sara09

Sara09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Fantastic post. Thank you very much for the whole information. It helped me a lot. I was little bit aware about it but your post gave me clear idea.

Sara09, Jan 13, 2011 IP