1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

70 manhours = how many days?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by antonnn, Jan 16, 2015.

Greetings from Germany,

assuming, a web-design project consumes 70 hours of work, how many workdays would that be? Or how long would it take for a small to medium sized company to finish this project? On which factors does the calculation of the time depend?

My boss' calculation:
    70hours, 1-2 men should be 5 workdays = 2 weeks
    The site is nothing fancy, but I doubt 2 weeks will suffice.

Any experiences?

concept: 10 h = x days
    design: 35 h = x days
    coding: 15 h = x days

Project:
    - Image, representative web site for a small company
    - 12-20 pages, types: landing page plus 1-2 designs for content
    - no Back-End, Front-End only, focus on Layout, Design, some HTML5+css3 eyecandy
    - we will provide style-guide/corporate design
    - initial content only/dummy.-content

I think the calculated costs are rather realistic, but we are unsure about the duration of the project. My boss wants this site like yesterday .... :/ I would like to provide a realistic timeframe for the designers to give them the chance to deliver on time.

thanks in advance,
    Anton

antonnn, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  2. quotealex

quotealex Active Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the team workload and how much you're willing to pay extra to spead up the project. I would say, it could take anywhere from 3 days to 1 month for a team to complete a 70-hour project.

quotealex, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  3. antonnn

antonnn Peon

Best Answers:
    I've only done some rough market research for Germany. (webkalkulator.de)
    So extra money can speed up the production process? Why?

Budget would be 6k to 8k € / 100~120€ per hour
    I think that's pretty fair for a web-site without back-end-stuff.

Will not buy us top-notch established design-companies like jvm.com (Hamburg), but we should be able to hire some local medium-sized design company of the category: not glossy, but solid, maybe even a bit fancy..

antonnn, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  4. Rivmedia

Rivmedia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Get a quote based on the project and time scale rather than putting an hourly rate on things, 6 - 8k should get you some attention from any reasonable company. By focusing on a 70 hour project your exposing your self to being disappointed because some people will work 16 hour days , others will work 5 hours but will get more accomplished or will have better resources.

Most companies will also give you a wider time scale to cater for "worst case scenario" so when they quote 6 weeks for completion its likely they "could" do it in 3 to 4 if all went well and it would mean the client isnt constantly asking for updates which in its self costs time.

Rivmedia, Jan 16, 2015 IP
  5. cynosurex

cynosurex Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure I understand the complication of this issue. 70 manhours means 70 hours total. That means if you have one man working on the task at 7 hours a day, you would consume 70 manhours in 10 days.

If you have two people working on it at 7 hours a day, you would consume it in 5 days.

If you have 7 people working on it at 7 hours a day, you would consume it in 1 day.

If you have 2 people working on it at 7 hours a day starting on Wednesday, but they don't work on Sat/Sun, then they will consume the hours by the end of Tuesday.

cynosurex, Jan 27, 2015 IP
  6. HF Evan

HF Evan Member

Best Answers:
    Most people work 35-40 hours per week. Assuming it's a lone coder, that's two weeks. A team of two, a week.

HF Evan, Jan 27, 2015 IP
  7. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If a resource is working dedicately for you then it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks. As 40 working per week are normal working hours around the world.

Rate, it is always different as you move around to different continents.

Shahzad Jameel, Jan 28, 2015 IP