1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Niche Facebook: Opportunity?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by ColinLiang, Dec 12, 2011.

I stumbled across a social network just for academics (no, I don't own it or get any commission for this). Just google academia.edu and you'll find it.

The basic premise is that it's Facebook for Academics who can follow each other and read the academic papers they write. It serves not only to connect people with the same interests but also as an alternative publishing platform. It's pretty cool stuff.

That got me thinking; if it can work for academics, what other niches are out there for social networks. Facebook and Google+ have covered the 'everyone' category already, and myspace has music. One that I think could work would be a Comedian social network (they share jokes, post their clips onto their profiles, find and communicate with their following etc).

What other social network niche ideas do you think you would use yourself?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
    ColinLiang, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  2. Grobbulus

Grobbulus Peon

Best Answers:
    Basically anything. Have a look at Buddypress.org. You can create any kind of social network. If you like movies...create one for movies. Same with sports, etc, etc.

Grobbulus, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  3. kirajx

kirajx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Fantasy niche

kirajx, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  4. Sharon Martin

Sharon Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    See, you can develop an active community related to any niche... It completely depends on you, how you are making it active.

People love to participate into any community, provided its informative and merging more than one niches together.

Another thing that audience hate in a community is blatant promotion and spam.

Sharon Martin, Dec 14, 2011 IP
  5. indianachu

indianachu Member

Best Answers:
    I like that,

" Another thing that audience hate in a community is blatant promotion and spam."

indianachu, Dec 14, 2011 IP