1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A quick bit of advice for logos.

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by DrLakitu, Nov 26, 2008.

Hi guys,

I have been looking around and seen that a lot of people have been making logos in PS, GIMP etc... Just to let some of you who don't know that logos 'should' be made in a vector program like Adobe illustrator or any other the others out there (I only use AI so not sure what else there is to use) "But I like the photoshop effects and filters man" you may say, well check up what a vector is via wiki and you'll see the benefits, it's also adds a professional touch as you can not give a big name company a PSD for a logo, they will CTRL+DEL that straight away.

Even if you haven’t got the funds for AI you can check http://aviary.com/home
    I think they have a free open source vector program available now. It's just some advice for people who are new to design and is not negative crit to those of you that use pixel progs for logos, hope it helped :)

DrLakitu, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  2. myst729

myst729 Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer .EPS files.

myst729, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  3. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    .EPS is an old and bad standard.

It has been effectively replaced by PDF, which is now at the core of all of Adobe's graphics software, as well as becoming an open ISO standard.

An open-source program that has superiour pen and fill tools to Adobe Illustrator is Inkscape.org

since it's open-source and runs on every operating system, there's no reason you can't use both (Illustrator has it's advantages too, like text). Why not have a stronger toolbox?

Honestly though, as a designer there is enough in Inkscape that I wouldn't NEED to buy illustrator.

And yes, photshop's only vector tool is the pen-tool, but it's VERY clumsy, and if you can use it in PS you've already learned how it's done properly. Why not just use the vector app anyway?

innovati, Nov 28, 2008 IP