1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

a serious social networking site for internet marketers?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by scott_m, Jan 27, 2010.

Hey everyone, this is a post my friend put up on the warrior forum and she asked if I could help her out a bit and get some more feedback:

About a year ago, I began looking into social network marketing. It was (and still is) the "big thing" so I figured I'd use it to try and market my first website which is now dead. For some reason, I found Facebook and Myspace to be a little lacking and not exactly internet-marketer friendly. So I decided to try the other big names which were more geared towards business folks - LinkedIn, Xing, and Biznik. These networks were ok, but they seemed just a little too professional for my needs. To be perfectly honest, I'm not interested in meeting my online buddies at MLM events during the weekend, nor do I want to network with rich and powerful corporate "professionals", and I'm certainly not looking for my next career or job (that's why I'm an internet marketer, I work at home!). I'm just a regular person who's trying to make it with a home based business. I don't need all the bells and whistles that these sites provide.

So then I discovered sites like homebasedbusiness.com, startupspace.com, and sta.rtup.biz...but in the process, I also discovered spamming at its finest. Those sites are literally a free-for-all for every Tom, Jack, or Harry with a product to sell. The amount of sheer desperation is almost amazing. I think I've seen more social networking happen in an ant-farm than on those sites. But the real funny thing is that all of them are hosted on Ning. I'm sure Ning seemed like a good idea to whoever created it. But even now as you read this, about 10 social networks that will never serve any real purpose were just created.

As a result of all this, an idea formed in my frustrated little head, and I ended up taking one of my unused domain names that I didn't know what to do with and I created a business network. But I made one very big mistake. I foolishly fell into the "if you build it they will come" trap and that's where my problem is. Well technically they did come...8 of them to be exact.
    I'm not here to solicit or ask you guys to visit my site or anything. It's down right now anyways cause I want to make a few changes and I need to buy another modification for it. But before I waste anymore money, I'd like to do a little market research on my fellow warriors. Would any of you be actually interested in a site like this? This wouldn't be a place where you can just come post a bunch of ads and bombard people with spam. My goal is to make it into an actual community. I know we're internet marketers but who wants to be working all the time? The site is based on a scoring system to gauge participation and there is a paid membership option which grants more features such as a separate profile for your business, advanced classified listings, and an affiliate program. The site has all your basic networking functions like groups, blogs, user-submitted video, pictures, a forum, IM, and events. Plus a few extras that I added - the channels section (tutorials and articles by category), the business bookstore, and the break room (arcade).
    If this interests you guys, let me know how you feel about it. I'd really like some feedback. Also if you know of any other business networks which are actually worth their salt, let me know about those too.​

Your responses would be great
    :cool:

scott_m, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  2. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    tornado!, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  3. dipali

dipali Peon

Best Answers:
    Sphinn.com, ning.com, webmasterworld.com are some internet marketing communties where you can share your knowldge

dipali, Jan 30, 2010 IP