1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Abstract or wordy name for web2 startup?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by condra, Dec 20, 2011.

Hey guys.

I just wanted to ask you all whether you would prefer a keyword orientated name (e.g “We Buy Any Car”) , or a catchy abstract name (e.g "Twitter")for a modern startup website business which offers a unique service.

The project I have in mind would have a small advertising budget, fairly unique keywords, and lots of viral potential, so I don’t think a keyword heavy name would be essential for generating traffic.

At the same time, I think people are fed up with abstract web 2 names, and I even find myself gravitating away from abstract words. In other words, often I would remember “SellYourCar.com” over “Carzoom.com” (for example)

The domain name which explains my project is available.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this matter.

condra, Dec 20, 2011 IP
  2. jeffbeer

jeffbeer Member

Best Answers:
    I apologize for the following ramble, just was interested in this question :) my vote goes to keyword/direct names over abstract

Tough question, I always run into this creative block myself when trying to name my project/site. With abstract names it allows you to build any brand and go in any direction, but requires one helluva marketing campaign. As well, a poor abstract name can really set you back.
    If you could get a similar sounding abstrac dn, like vroom.com, revv.com, etc then go for that.

As for direct names, it's clear and to the point. However, it may give the "cookie-cutter" vibe, where it sounds bland and just like the rest. The obvious pro is seo and keyword strategizing. Another caution is that too specific of a name may inhibit your ability to expand, if that chance arose. If you can get some dn like Cardeals.com, or sellyourcar, then I say go for that over trying for an abstract.

jeffbeer, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  3. condra

condra Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. I’m probably going to stick with the keyword style for this project.

condra, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  4. jj@24khost

jj@24khost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I like the abstract and not the wordy ones as they are nomarlly shorter to type.

jj@24khost, Dec 23, 2011 IP