1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adding Scores, Schedules, Stats, Injuries, Standings, etc. to a sports themed website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by sportsguy11, Feb 24, 2011.

Thank you for reading.

To state the obvious, I am not very programming literate. Please excuse the lack of technical terms in my question.

I designed a sports themed website and it is currently being built by a programmer friend of mine.

The site consists of teams from all the major American sports leagues: NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, College Basketball, and College Football.

I am hoping to find the best way to add Live Scores, Team Schedule, Team Injuries, Team Standings, and Team Transactions for every team on the website. I would like to have this information automated as I obviously can't manually enter that information for each team.

Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction to accomplish this task? Are there bots out there that supply this info ? Companies that supply this info that charge a monthly fee ? Ways to 'piggy-back' off of another site that already supplies this info ? etc...

Thank you again for taking the time to read my post and any help would be greatly appreciated!

sportsguy11, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  2. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    There probably is a service or RSS feed to be had. I have not investigated this yet, but get asked that question quite a bit. If you find any, let me know -- I am curious also. Maybe there is a Yahoo feed? ESPN?

To state the obvious, you would need some type of data feed to automate the process. If one can't be had, then all is not lost. You would only need to "scrape" the scoreboard pages from any sports site. This has drawbacks outside maybe some possible legal issues, but if they change the layout of those pages, then your code will break.

Dodger, Feb 25, 2011 IP