1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alex Doyle Associates

Discussion in 'General Business' started by albereto, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    What a load of rubbish!

1. There is no credit, as far as I could see, to your company listed on that site.

2. So even if you did do the SEO on this site you are not number 1 with this site it is held by:

Walk Spain - Walking Holidays Spain, Walking holiday Algarve ... - [ Translate this page ]
    ... scenery, this is the package for you. Walking holiday Spain, Algarve,
    Andalucia, Costa de la Luz. Walk Spain with Via Verde Experience. ...
    perso.wanadoo.es/sailordeb/ - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

3. and no wonder with a Title tag of <title>Pico Verde - Walking holidays Spain, Walking holiday, Walking holidays, Walking holiday Spain, Hiking vacation Spain, Hiking vacations Spain, Hiking vacation Europe, Hiking vacations Europe, Walking tour Spain, Walking tours Spain, Walking tours Europe, Walking vacation Spain, Walking vacations Spain, Picos de Europa, Pyrenees,hiking holidays.</title>

4. Which seems to be the same on every page

5. The number one site is a perso page! which is a frameset! with a marginally shorter title tag! LOL - golly how amazing you cannot beat that for Walking holiday in Spain

and you are 7 for "walking holidays in spain" with that damn pesky perso page still there at no2!!

and you are only in the no 1 for "Hiking holidays spain" if you did the SEO!!!

6. So I went and checked for how many people searched on that term in any given day

Guess What?

Here is the answer - are you ready for it? - Can anybody guess?

I guess if I turned off the adult filter it might alter things - not!!

Go away ADA you have been proven wrong time after time and your ignorance is now showing totally

Foxy, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  2. Dennis

Dennis Guest

Best Answers:
    1. We did the work for them whether you believe it or not
    2. ITC claim they had a customer at number 1 dont see you criticising them
    3. Pico verde are with us and have number one listings and top positions.
    4. Trying switching to pages from the UK then see.
    5.Customers choose there own search terms thats the ones he wanted thats what we got him top positions for.
    4 Craig Fox Johnson or whatever you want to be called, grow up.

Dennis, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    So if this is a 'valid' top position, show me the other 28 number one position on all the other search engines that you guarantee with your service...

T0PS3O, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Good find.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I wouldn't exactly call and of those high traffic terms...

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/?keywords=walking+holiday+in+spain
    http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/?keywords=hiking+holiday+spain
    http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/?keywords=matchbox+models

They get about the same traffic as someone searching for my name specifically... hehe

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/?keywords=shawn+hogan

I can rank #1 for some mildly competitive terms, and I have no clue what I'm doing, so SEO really isn't all that hard. I rank #1 for "credit card application", #2 for "apply for credit card", etc.

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/?keywords=credit+card+application
    http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/?keywords=apply+for+credit+card

digitalpoint, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  6. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Answers:

1. Anybody could claim that - I certainly wouldn't without any credits on the site

2. I could not care less about them - but I do about you and your masquerading

3. There you go again claiming you do work for them without any credits on the site

4. Lets get the market down to as small a number as possible shall we - afterall a .com is not specifically for the UK is it? If you new that you were going for the Uk then the site should have been a .co.uk

5. Oh go on then, when all else fails blame the customer!! I was writing about the title not the keywords.

and yes that is my name and its on every page [I think, I hope] that I write together with my nickname which used to be FoxyWeb and now is just plain Foxy and also the company name and any other credits that should be there like DigitalPoint or Open Realty etc. Unlike other people who use nicknames to suit their purpose Dennis and then there is Doobey and there is...oh ADA...!!!

Foxy, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  7. Dennis

Dennis Guest

Best Answers:
    6. So I went and checked for how many people searched on that term in any given day

Is this not about the popularity of keywords foxy

Dennis, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  8. ITC

ITC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dennis,
    I was just about to reply to your first post and then saw the replies from others and suddenly realised where your motives lay.

We did do the optimisation of this site, but that was 9 months ago!

Unfortunately their budget wasn't up to a monthly management program and although the terms were where we said they were, obviously they have dropped out since then. Especially since in the middle was the dreaded 'Florida' update.

OK so our case studies page is a little out of date where FP are concerned, they do say plumbers have the worst etc., we only posted here to try to help as we are already helping one client. We didn't realise we would be attacked by other SEO's for posting here.

I don't wish to get into a flame war, apart from anything esle we're too busy to put up much of a fight, we would rather fight for our clients.

:)

P.S. you mentioned competitive keywords - that's very short sighted from an seo company - we have to explain all the time to our clients it's not keywords that's the problem in seo - it's a combination of two things - 1. how many competitors are there - 2. and more importantly , how many of them have optimised their site for that keyword.

Just because it sounds like a competitive word or phrase doesnt mean it will be difficult and vice-versa.

We recently did one for an Army SUrplus website -that sounds easy right? Not many competitors optimsing back in the dark ages Army Surplsu websites - wrong! Lots!

But then of course we do have the likes of Forces Reunited with 170,000+ members - easy to do again? Wrong 15 other sites all reuniting ex-forces personnel. - They're number 1 for just about everything to do with finding army friends etc.

ITC, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  9. Dennis

Dennis Guest

Best Answers:
    Is this not attacking other seo companies in fact i would say calling someone scum is quite a direct attack. You attacked i defended our company enough said.

As for the keywords FOXY was saying we were number one but not under a very competitive keyword, that is why i mentioned competitive phrases. I replied by saying that is what the customer chose, as it was. We advise customer what keywords to go for but in the end it is ultimately their choice

Dennis, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  10. ITC

ITC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dennis,
    don't know wether it was you or another of the employees at ADA that just rang me to threaten me and my company?

If you feel you have really been wronged, I will expect a letter from your legal advisors.

Funny how many assumptions were made that you were big, we were small, you are almighty, we can be crushed! ;)

When a client approaches you that says bad things about another company and then says go to these forums and see just how many unahppy people there are - and then we search for your details etc. to find you don't even have a website etc.? It's all very suspicious isn't it?

We have been told of your methods from several clients which in anyones terms sound like spamming the search engines.

Furthermore your guarantees of positioning in the search engines are empty promises. Do you own the search engines? No - how can you claim to guarantee rankings to clients? That's just promosing what you can't guarantee to deliver.

Then you claim to give money back if you don't get results - funny no-one seems to have had any money back from you yet?

Thats why I said we shold get rid of 'scum like these'.

If of course you could get say 10 of your happy clients to post here saying different, we will all bow down to your holiness.

Just seems that there are lost of unhappy people complaining about you.

And if they need it, we will stand up and say what are decent ways of optimising a site and what aren't, framesets for one!

Of course, if you wish to use this post as well, I'm sure you won't quote me out of context will you?

ITC, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    What is it about then?

Surely you advise your clients to use high traffic keywords rather than wasting money by optimising a page for keywords which are going to give them zero traffic.. surely that is what SEO is all about?

Darren :)

DarrenC, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  12. Dennis

Dennis Guest

Best Answers:
    First thing ITC you are being slanderous and your talking about things you dont even know about. You say that you did the optimization for your references 9 months but you have only been in business according to companies house for 6 months. Numbers dont add up there do they. Is that false references you are giving out.

First you call us scum and then cry when you say you are being attacked yourselves. At the end of the day we have many happy clients and have been in business for three years.

As for the keyword argument here it is, Foxy said that pico verde were nuumber one and it was not a high traffic term so you were not just talking about titles were you.

We advise customers on the best terms to go for if they want high traffic or specific traffic it does not matter. The owner of pico verde wanted those terms,so we got him number one positions on google for them.

For someone who has been in business for two minutes and then to start criticising is just totally unbelievable come back in a few years ITC when you have some experience.

ADA

Dennis, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  13. Foxy

Best Answers:
    ITC you are getting sucked in by ADA into a slanging match

Don't you see what, who they are?

There is another thread that goes on for a long time about ADA and their practices.

Just take it as read.

Foxy, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  14. ITC

ITC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dennis,
    as I said to whomever it was that rang us, you're very quick to make judgements.

You're right we only became Ltd. at the beginning of this year, but we were a company long before that, and I personally have been involved in seo since 1998.

Ah, we're quoting companies house records are we?

So for a company that said to me on the phone, we're big your small - you turned over £20k for your accounts 2003 - yeah your massive!

OK - if you want the correct terminology - if we're being anything we're being libellous. Libel print, slander speech - gettit?

We're talking about things we don't know? hmm, how'd you work this one out? Many clients say you stink? but oh sorry I forgot, you have hundreds, so that's ok then! lol.

Did we sound like we were crying? Yes, it was tears of laughter.

Did I mention anything about pico verde? No - you did, frankly I'm not interested. FP hasn't been optmised for 9 months as I said - we do need to update our case studies page, but then at least we have a website where customers can contact us disgruntled or not.

I notice you didn't say anything about our big names clients like Forces Reunited and FileMaker? Reason? Because we have an ongoing program with them, so they rank well.

Yes Foxy I see what you mean, I really don't need this and frankly don't have the time or the interest.

ADA like I said, big professional companies don't threaten they just do, so I'll be hearing from your solicitors then?

Like I said, if you want to make a good name for yourselves instead of getting involved in a slanging match, why don't you work with the companies on here who are unhappy with you and sort their sites or give them some money back like you promised to?

Then they'll all be singing your praises and no-one will be able to complain.

Otherwise of course people are going to slag you of - as far as some of your customers are concerned you made promises to them which you havent kept and when they ask for their money back like you promised, you negate on that deal.

We've been here before, it's a sorry tale, but you can always win the day by proving you're not like that, right?

Maybe we should have a poll, who would be happy if ADA sorted their sites or gave them their money back like they promise?

ITC, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  15. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    ITC

if I was you I would delete your last post

you know if you are better

public slanging matches help no-one

leeds1, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  16. ITC

ITC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Leeds1,
    we wouldn't say something othewise!

I think the point is here, ADA have a chance to speak to all these clients and make them happy.

Instead at the moment all they seem to worry about is spending time in here, rather than communicating with the clients about why the feel conned.

Then we'll all be happy won't we. And ill be the first to stand up and say ADA did all they can to help.

ITC, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  17. peterjohnston917

peterjohnston917 Peon

Best Answers:
    ITC
    Well said...if ADA can do things with their customers then great....but im still waiting???? and waiting.....ie 7 days to get a returned phone call or answer to a urgent e mail.... ohhh sorry they couldnt reply to my e mail...due to "Spamming" on the internet?????

Regards
    Peter

peterjohnston917, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  18. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    So I'm a complete amateur to SEO I come along to ABC Company and I want to optimise Pink Widgets and Green Widgets simply because as an amateur I think these KW's will get me good traffic.

As an SEO company you would still go ahead and take that persons money knowing well that the best KW's would be Blue Widgets and Red Widgets?

Just because a customer asks for these KW's as an SEO company you should research better KW's which are going to bring in traffic, which any website owner requires to make money.

You sound like another company which I will not bring into the discussion but they too are a UK company offering the same type of "service" that I was conned with when first going into business on the internet.

If this is a lesson to any new webmasters who are reading this thread is learn and do it yourself.

Darren :)

DarrenC, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  19. ITC

ITC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Darren,
    point well made.

You're right there are many comapnies offering the same service i.e. guaranteed number 1 or money back.

Unless this company suddenly has a deal with the search engines there's no way they can 'guarantee' a position - which of course they don't, that's ludicrous.

So, all we're saying is so far in these forums we've seen about 10 companies or so that aren't happy with ADA - saying they have broken the contract by 1. not achieving the number 1 position and then 2. not giving them their money back like they promised.

For a BIG company like ADA 10 measley companies should be chicken feed, shouldn't it? Common guys, why not turn this on it's head and prove you're the good guys and have been misunderstood?

Either achieve these number 1 positions for everyone within a very short space of time, or do as you say and give them their money back.

They say that the best people to promote your company are one's who have been unhappy with you, that you then go to turn round by proving how good you are. They then sing your praises.

So here's your chance to get 10 companies saying, actually we were wrong ADA aren't like that at all, and they did try for us, and when they couldn't do it they admitted it and gave us our money back like they said they would.

Sounds like a good PR exercise to me.

On your point about doing it yourself though Darren, what you can learn about seo will no doubt improve your site, but without the experience in seo you're never going to beat a professional seo company.

I will start a new post and list the basic things you should/shouldn't be doing so everyone here can help themselves.

ITC, Jul 17, 2004 IP
  20. ITC

ITC Peon

Best Answers:
    There are ways around everything like frames, splash pages etc. but if you want your site to be the best it can be, here's the best you can do.

1. Get rid of your frames if you use them. Stick your menu in a Server Side Include so you still only have to update it once.

2. Don't have a Splash or Entrance page - no content = poor ranking.

3.The only META TAGS you need are title, description, robots and still for some engines notably not Google, keywords. no others work, meta refresh doesn't, the search engines revisit more often to your site if they can see its being regularly updated, if it isn't theyre generally back once a month.
    Stick your best keyphrase in your meta tags - obviously this ones about experience of the balance here - but generally you need no more than 13 words in your title and description, with one keyphrase.

4. Get rid of all code that doesn't need to be there. The more code you have in your page the more it dilutes your message.

5. Externalise all javascripts. Makes the page load faster and again stops dilution.

6. Get your body text to as near the top of the page as possible, the nearer the top the more value. You can do this by moving menus in the code using blank table cells.

7. Make you page content worthwhile. It needs to be of value to a human, about 200 words with maybe 5-8 times of the same keyphrase in it. Again this ones about experience, but if its not of value to a human the se's arent going to like it either.

Remember theres about 50 guys with phd's at G making sure you dont spam their engine!

8. Make sure you have alt tags on all images with a description of what its about. This one needs to be in place for October in any case in the UK when they'try' to make it law for accessibility.

9. Text links you can add a title="" tag to it like you would do an alt="" tag to an image.

10. Add a summary="" tag to the inside of your top table cells. Again good for accessibility - but dont overstuff your page with keywords. If you do it will be like lighting up a Christmas tree and literally saying to G 'Ive been optimised' - a good way NOT to get you to the top!

11. Importantly - don't create a page just for the search engines! - If it looks crap and is worthless to a human, it will be to the se's as well.

12. Dont have any redirects from your homepage.

13. Your homepage is your most valuable page- whatever ranking you get there will auto feed to the rest of your sites pages, hence poor ranking there and youll find it difficult to get good rankings internally.

14. Create a sitemap with a link from your homepage to it and back - in the sitemap a link to every page in your site.

15. Lots more ..................

Again a lot of this needs the experience to implement it and get the balance just right, but if you start there youll only see an improvement.

Hope that helps!

ITC, Jul 17, 2004 IP