1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alexa top 1 milion list inaccurate - why?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Rian, Feb 24, 2011.

Hi everyone

Alexa made available their top 1 million website list for free download. It is almost a 10MB file you can download from them.

I have implemented their list on my website, which updates every 24 hours: http://www.cozareg.com/cron/index.php

If you go to my page, you can do a search for cozareg.com - or any other site you know are listed in the top 1 million list,

Now, go to: http://www.alexa.com/search?q=cozareg.com&r=home_home&p=bigtop or just to a search for the same site again.

Why are there differences in the list they provide and the information on their website?

Rian, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  2. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, Alexa has always gone by those who used their toolbar.

ForgottenCreature, Feb 25, 2011 IP
    mentos likes this.
  3. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa is far from actcuallity. It is just a rough estimate or idea. The top 200 might be more accurate, but anything less than that is so far fetched, and based on the tool bar it is unreal. I've seen 2 similar sites with similar traffic. One alexa says 30,000 with about 200'ish uniques. Another with 500,000 alexa and about 2000 uniques. Go figure that out. Nothing to brag about when if everyone really had the alexa tool bar the results would be much different. Some of the braggers would get nailed if other people had the toolbar enabled. So you really need other stats like analytics, awstats, compete rank, and a good combination of a bunch of stats to get the real picture. A few hundred visitors from your buddies with the toolbar is not going to help in the long run.

gameutopia, Feb 25, 2011 IP
  4. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is due to Alexa database is not always syn with the top 1 million list that why you cannot find that particular site.

mentos, Feb 26, 2011 IP
  5. chrisceo

chrisceo Peon

Best Answers:
    It took my website 2 months to go from 20 million to the 580k range

chrisceo, Feb 26, 2011 IP
  6. OpportunityLOL

OpportunityLOL Peon

Best Answers:
    It took my new domain a week to go from 11m to 1.3m

It took my old domain 8 months to get down to 350k

The ranking is definitely skewed towards people with the Alexa toolbar, when I posted articles on getting hits my alexa went up a ton and my analytics only went up a bit. It's still pretty cool outranking a website in your niche that's been around a lot longer because you can drive traffic and get people with the toolbar to show up. :)

OpportunityLOL, Feb 26, 2011 IP