1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alternative to POLYGONAL LASSO when copying image

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by dinrock, Sep 21, 2010.

I need help in copying an image. I am pasting an image onto or over an existing image and here is how I currently do it:

#1. Open original image I want to copy another image onto and I minimize it.
    #2. Open my image I want to paste into orifgianl. Using the polygonal lasso tool, I
    go around it, and trace it. Then up to EDIT>COPY and I minimize the image.
    #3. I then go to LAYER>NEW>LAYER
    #4. Then I go to EDIT>PASTE

I then go up to top of vertical tool strip and the top right icon I choose for
    dragging thepasted image around to the spot I want to embed.

But when I finally paste the image in, it is sloppy looking from the cutting out, using the polygonal lasso. Is there another alternative to copying the image I want to paste, without having to use the polygonal lasso?

dinrock, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  2. thenonk

thenonk Peon

Best Answers:
    try to use the eraser tool, playing in the layer, then set the dimensions , opacity and brusher of the tool

thenonk, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  3. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what the image is you're trying to copy something from. If the background is rather plain (i.e. a blank white background) then the Magic Wand tool will be your friend.

What version of Photoshop are you using? If you have After Effects, then you can use the new Roto Brush tool which has content recognition and then copy the selection from AE into Photoshop for a very clean image.

Other than that, the Polygonal Lasso tool is my favorite. It just takes a little time, and small clicks.

If you want to paste the image you're trying to copy from here in a reply, I'll be glad to cut it out upload the copied part for you.

Piggy, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  4. dinrock

dinrock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    View attachment 44259 Piggy: My copy of PS is OLD...it's PS6.0 but works great....had it since 2002. Attached is image I am trying to work with....it's just THE IMAGE I want to copy - note, the all white background....so I am wondering how to paste the water tower INTO another image.

dinrock, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  5. rcdesigns

rcdesigns Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi, I find a lot of answer on this website. Its a great tutorial website www(dot)tutvid(dot)com, Hope it help you solve and understand your issues.
    Regards :)

rcdesigns, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  6. david.rew1164

david.rew1164 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know u feel ps6 is great. But try out the CS5 i know u may face problems but it can do wonders to your image.

david.rew1164, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  7. impactbnd09

impactbnd09 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Copying and tracing object from a certain image is as easy as 123, my way of doing it is by using pen tool, trace the object around, when the path is closed, press Crtl+enter, then a marquee appear in the selected object then press ctrl + J, so you copied it into another layer. Thats it so simple.

impactbnd09, Oct 4, 2010 IP