1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any Free Alternatives to Illustrator that work?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by lakezilla, Apr 26, 2009.

I'm looking for free alternatives to Adobe Illustrator so I don't have to shell out $700....any ideas?

lakezilla, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  2. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nihangshah, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  3. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Inkscape is the most capable vector editor as an alternative to Illlustrator, and in many ways it's more advanced than Illustrator.

It also happens to be free, open-source and cross-platform, so you can use it for free on any computer.

It has less typesetting options than illustrator, but better pen tool and colour fill handling. And nice features like gradient strokes, RGBa and CMYKa colours, a simple realtime blur that can be edited later. Object Clones, on-canvas gradient editing.

There are SO many things that Inkscpe does that sometimes it's hard to do what you want in Illusrator after having used it. I bought Illustrator and use both professionally, and I've grown used to having both. I don't know if I could do as good work as I do if I only had illustrator only.

Get Inkscape at inkscape.org and follow some tutorials. You may not even need to buy Illustrator.

innovati, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  4. lakezilla

lakezilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Innovati, will get right on Inkscape and see where it takes me.

lakezilla, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  5. Tom the Corset Maker

Tom the Corset Maker Peon

Best Answers:
    I like Inkscape, it's free and fairly competent.
    It doesn't do (although I believe that it's changing) separations very well, so limited for screenprint.

Tom the Corset Maker, Apr 27, 2009 IP
  6. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    @Tom the corset maker: easy solution for that

either use GIMP or photoshop to create the separations, or else design the stuff on multiple layers if you're using flat colours that won't blend, and then save it layer by layer.

innovati, Apr 27, 2009 IP