1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone running MCE 2005?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by chachi, Apr 26, 2005.

Anyone got a MCE 2005 machine going? I just put together one last week and it is eating up all of my time.

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  2. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I had an MCE. but the CAT ate it.

EDIT; okay just googled what an MCE is. And nope *shakes head* still dont have a clue :D

MELLA, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  3. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
  4. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  5. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I didn't really read it that way...and I just spend the last 10 minutes reading that whole thing...sheesh.

But, to be honest there is no way any major source of content is going to make that content digitally available if there are not good DRM systems in place. I have no problem with that. I am pretty fired up on the fact that MS has finally made a system that actually makes a compelling argument for having a home media PC. If all you are concerned about is getting every free movie and MP3 file you can, then clearly the MS solution is not for you. Distributing audio/video/radio throughout my whole house via readily available extender boxes (dlink and others make them already) is very appealing to me. Having all of my audio/video files in one place is as well. Plus, when I get my car PC going, I will be able to sync all of my music and videos to my car via 802.11. Yes, having every song I own in my car and house is appealing to me.

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  6. noppid

Best Answers:
    We buy books.

Thanks for sharing your dream though. Used to be a hobby for me too, but I don't care to play with Bill recreationally. I'll keep that a business relationship.

Give me a media device that is not wired please. Not to steal music, I just know what I want, I get it when I need it at the store and play it privately.

If the only way to buy music in the future is online over the net, I will stop buying music.

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  7. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Not really following you. But honestly, if Bill is going to go after every person that has a "pirated" MP3 on their computer, then everyone is going to jail. There won't be anyone around to buy anything from them. :)

Just as real estate brokers have not been suddenly and swiftly eliminated because of the internet, I doubt that anytime in the near future music will become an internet delivery only item. I just got back from North Carolina, trust me this may not ever happen. :)

BTW, this is not a dream, it is a reality. I have the Car PC spec'd out I am just not sure if I want to put it into my Tahoe or put it into something else. http://www.hossweb.com/Vehicles/Expedition - CarPC 3.asp

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  8. noppid

Best Answers:
    Your reality not mine, thanks.

I'm too old to embrace the big brother society.

You agreeing to this is like walking into a store to buy a tape and they ask to audit all the tapes in your bag first. You'd agree to that, right?

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  9. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Show me the line in the TOS that you think says that please.

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  10. noppid

Best Answers:
    The part where it goes to the store and tells them your IP while they see if you are licensed and that MS is not responsible for the EULA of those 3rd party apps that hook into WMP.

That's just way too loose. The unique ID is encrypted, but a simple sopeana can get that from MS who will have it indexed and handy in a database. Not that the IP aint enough.

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  11. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I understand what you think it says, I am curious of the exact verbage you read that has lead you to believe this. I did not read it that way.

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  12. noppid

Best Answers:
    Here's one example of the run around.

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  13. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Uh huh, big whoop. How do we get to:
    from there?

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  14. noppid

Best Answers:
    I'm not here to convince you. I was just showing my point of view. You're allowed to disagree.

If you don't see it like I do, you just don't. :/

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  15. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Could have fooled me. No offense Noppid, but you came into this thread and took it over with your scare tactics. If you would like to show me, specifically, where the TOS states something to back up your claims, I would love to see it. I don't like MS any more than the next guy, but I don't think making stuff up is cool either.

If you want to do that, great. If you want to talk about MCE2005 and how it works, great. If you don't, then please just leave it alone. Thanks.

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  16. noppid

Best Answers:
    I did and I did, if you want to ignore it, that's fine. I'm not the only one of this opinion in the world.

I didn't say I don't like MS, you did, I said I do not like the EULA for WMP.

Cheers

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  17. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    You said, "You agreeing to this is like walking into a store to buy a tape and they ask to audit all the tapes in your bag first. You'd agree to that, right?"

You have not shown anything in the TOS that represents MS, or anyone else, "auditing all of the tapes in my bag" or on my computer for that matter.

Show me the auditing of all of the items in my bag (or all of the files on my computer which is what you are trying to say, right?).

Damn dude, way to ruin my good cheer on my new MCE box. I didn't know they sold bought Ted Kaczynski's old house to someone.

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  18. noppid

Best Answers:
    That's part of the point. It's an unknown. Any and every vendors EULA would have to be read.

To me it means if I sell music, I can hook into you box and see what you have. It's in there. That worries me. Not cause I steal, because it's not acceptable. I don't want to hear the "if you are honest you have nothing to worry about" argument.

That right there is telling me to worry. I can't give ya much more then that, but it's enough for me to take a pass.

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  19. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Heh, well it sounds to me like you took the ball and ran with it a bit. I can understand you being concerned that you would, in theory, have to read every vendor's EULA. But, I have only installed one or two vendors DRM solutions at this point. I have not read them, and to be honest, I probably won't.

I just don't see how you think you can make those kinds of accusations without finding it in writing somewhere or having a documented example of software that MCE2005 uses that does this "audit" you have referred to.

Where is Minstrel when you need him :rolleyes:

If anyone is actually using MCE2005, I would love to hear how you like it.

chachi, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  20. noppid

Best Answers:
    Yeah yeah yeah, talk like that is how the DCMA got passed in the first place.

The door is wide open. They count on folks to have that attitude. I just can't agree with it at all.

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP