1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

are artists better at Computer graphics? Or can anyone do it

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by praveen7585, Jun 11, 2009.

Hi all,
    I am an artist and have been painting for nearly 8 years now. Well, since i have learned painting i find it really easy and great to make up things in graphics and multimedia..
    But there is one thing that i have always wondered! :confused: did the other Graphic designers learn painting and freestyle drawing at some point of their lives? Or did you just start Making digital art right away?

Please share your experience:)

praveen7585, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  2. praveen7585

praveen7585 Peon

Best Answers:
    do you think any person who has learned Freestyle drawing or Fine arts is better at Multimedia and graphics work? Or do you think that no such prerequisites are required for being a designer?

3. fundu_Mazu96

fundu_Mazu96 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, i feel they are better..

fundu_Mazu96, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  4. Idler

Idler Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm an artist and yeah, generally these people are better at computer graphics because they can use tablets, scanners, and Illustrator/Photoshop.

Idler, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  5. praveen7585

praveen7585 Peon

Best Answers:
    so how do people who have not learned the technical aspects of painting manage in making Graphic stuff?

6. Acorn7

Acorn7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm an Artist and a draughtsman, worked with the old fashioned pen and ink style, water colours, oils, simple pencil sketching and found computer graphics to be a natural progression.
    Would a graphic designer who has never touched a paintbrush be able to use oils or water colours, I think he could, some things have to be taught but a lot depends on natural talent.

Acorn7, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  7. robcub

robcub Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I was interested in art and painting as a kid but I was always messy and didn't have the patience. I found computer graphics easier to get into because it suited me. It definitely depends on what sort of brain you have. Some very artistic people absolutely hate computers - others are OK with them.

robcub, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  8. TreeSawDesign

TreeSawDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I was always talented in the fine arts from a young age. I think it helps to understand color combination's and painting and drawing techniques. The graphic design skill comes from being able to translate your fine art background into the digital world. Learning the programs required to take your vision and produce digital art is where the technical background is also helpful. I think that graphic designers must have some schooling in order to call themselves designers.

Reese

TreeSawDesign, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  9. iser77

iser77 Peon

Best Answers:
    The computer (or Photoshop, illustrator) are only tools. One who can draw can do it with a computer, a brush, a pencil, or even draw in the sand using a stick.
    Sure, some tools (like Photoshop) require a steeper learning curve. But you gotta have some talent or some formal education in art in order to be good.

iser77, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  10. thompson322

thompson322 Peon

Best Answers:
    Creativity comes within ourselves, and I think any designers has a gift to express themselves using graphical arts. The only problem in digital art is the technical stuff, tools like photoshop and corel needs more knowledge to create a certain image/graphics/the like.

thompson322, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  11. a4hire

a4hire Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, I am an artist too. I have tried all kinds of mediums. For me going digital is just another medium. I think that artists can make better graphics because they are creative or have some experience and talent in this area. Of course anyone can make computer graphics but they might not be as good as a person that had some talent in that area.
    My journey to digital graphics started at a very young age. I have been drawing and creating all of my life and first started computer graphics in 97.

a4hire, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  12. thomytom

thomytom Banned

Best Answers:
    before i start with digital art (copmuter graphics), i was producing stage decorations and elements for musicals. To your question...i feel, been an artist is definitely an advantage when producing digital art from many perespectives, but this doesnt mean to be good graphic designer you must be an artist/painter. I have seen so many artists that sucks at digital arts, and the oposite...many digital art designers have almost no talents at pianting but their computer art rocks.

thomytom, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  13. faust1611

faust1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    talent/skills + time + experience + software knowledge and you're good to go.

faust1611, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  14. studiorooeh

studiorooeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people sort of just go with the flow :)
    If you're one of those designers that create mainly on intuition, I don't think it'd really matter~

studiorooeh, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  15. Destinyx3

Destinyx3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I was never a true artist. I did draw a lot, but I was never very good. For me, it was a matter of practice and techniques. I developed my skill in Photoshop through practice and techniques.

Anybody can do graphic design, but not everybody has the talent for it.

Destinyx3, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  16. Sulan84

Sulan84 Member

Best Answers:
    O dont think, that artists are better by making CG.
    Never! Its an other catagory.

Sulan84, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  17. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah that’s true! I’m a Fine Arts Graduate as well. It usually make things easier for artists when it comes to graphics designing, as their basic are pretty strong about character modeling, anatomy, structures, perspectives etc.

Oranges, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  18. faust1611

faust1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yep, going to school/university are recommended to have strong knowledge.

faust1611, Jun 20, 2009 IP
  19. eFinder

eFinder Peon

Best Answers:
    I can be in the set of people who always loved art and observed with great detail.. I always could draw pretty good but not with the detail the forgiving computer gives you. SO i wet towards the computer and the beloved "undo" command lol but hey,.. 8 years into graphic design.. I am now turning back to the basic and picking up art books and learning thing that only ARTISTS can see with a trained eye, and it is making my design better and more fluid and "REAL" For a while I used alot of strait lines and clean looks.. now by sketching and using perspective more and more, and blending colors, and using all kinds of strokes, It has opened up my eyes in seeing shapes and how to use the perspective to create depth. I was living in 2d.. and now I can create great 3d.. and matte paintings... It was actually matte paintings that got me wanting to learn to draw/paint... because it totally awed me when I see what people create in concept art. I can do titles and web layouts all day... but now its time to create 3d matte paintings and concept art... and then incorporate that into the designs im doing to give even more of a unique feel to my projects... I know some people who are great designers.. but cant draw for the likes of em.. so they resort to tried techniques like using shift to make strait lines and doing alot of abstract design by duplicating things and using rotation.. to make it seem like they designed something abstract... I feel like drawing it first before I do it.. and that's anything ,helps me see the perspective and "GET" the idea before I start....

eFinder, Jun 20, 2009 IP
  20. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually one of my best friends, Allen...well he owns a graphic design company with his dad. Long story short... he can't draw even if his life depended on it. He can do graphic design though which I found weird since I have been a natural artist... I self taught myself on everything about computers. Somehow actual graphic design... the logical points of working with artwork, and actually doing printing and knowing all that requires more technical knowledge than artistic. That is why he is good. He could design a logo...but would probably take hours if not days to perfect it. He would also charge a hell of a lot of money. He doesn't deal with things online. The only use the internet is for him is to send email to friends and family and occassionally chat to people online.

There is a distinct difference between graphic design and digital design. Graphic design in my own opinion is much harder and requires for you to know exactly what type of paper to use for a specific project, how the artwork will be done and printed, and what dimensions things need to be etc. Too much for my head :p

sarah_harvey, Jun 20, 2009 IP