1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are we alone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sapphiro15, Nov 9, 2004.

I want to start a thread to see what you all think about earth being the only planet in the universe to have life.

I myself think that there is a possibility that we are not alone, and fancy the idea of other cultures somewhere out there in the universe. I don't think we'll ever meet them in my lifetime, but I think they are out there!

sapphiro15, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  2. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    The idea that life only exists on a small blue green planet in some backwater of the galaxy strikes me as a statistical absurdity... the more we discover about life processes, the more it becomes unlikely that life does not exists elsewhere.

Intelligent life is another issue... (have to find it on Earth first :))... first we have to define our terms ,,, life,,,, intelligence. But why not... anyone else here run the SETI@Home screen saver to analyse the SETI search results?

Trance-formation, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure there are living organisms on other planets etc.... but as far as human life on other planets, I doubt it. Our planet is so perfectly placed to sustain human life that trying to find another earth with the exact distance necessary from another sun (star) I think is nearly impossible. One of science teachers told me that if our earth was 10 feet of orbit that human life on earth would fail to exist. True or not I am not sure, but that sure stuck with me and he was a smarter dude than I.

PS: My biblical convictions tell me that there is no other planet with human life on it as well ;)

NewComputer, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  4. sapphiro15

sapphiro15 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a fine line between science and religion that can make this speculation a really heated debate. But it so interesting to learn their point of views.

5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Science and religion share a lot of boundaries. I know it is hard to believe that we are alone because it is in our nature of creation, to seek out what we cannot see....

NewComputer, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  6. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    The hubble teloscope has found ~125 Bil galaxies, our own galaxy has somewhere ~100 Bil, most of which are orbited by many planets. This leads me to believe that because of this extraudinary number of planets exists that life, and almost certainly intelligent lifeforms exist somewhere out there. Just my opinion of course.

xml, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  7. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that there are other life forms out there somewhere, but doubt they would look like humans. (Certainly hope they don't look like me :D )

nadlay, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  8. sapphiro15

sapphiro15 Peon

Best Answers:
    They were saying that there was a possibility that Mar's might have contained bateria which is the basis for life. So thats a start.

9. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, "Life" adapts. There are bacteria that live in temperatures so extreme it's hard to believe. How can there not be "Life" elsewhere?

ResaleBroker, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I want to marry a bacteria one day and have babies, can I hitch a ride to Mars with someone :confused:

anthonycea, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  11. sapphiro15

sapphiro15 Peon

Best Answers:
    Resale, that is a theory I also agree on.

I tihnk that even in the most human-uninhabitable planets, perhaps the bacteria could evolve into a being that adapts to the environment it came from.

Perhaps a thick-skinned golem from the planet mercury?

12. ojm

ojm Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not believe this. I think that if the conditions were different, life would be different - it would adapt to the conditions in which it is.

I also think that there has to be more life out there, there are billions (or was it higher?), solar systems out there - I do not see how Earth could be so special.

ojm, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  13. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Anthonyceas aim in life is to hijack every thread.

I don't think there is any human life on other planets also due to my own biblical convictions.

Weirfire, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  14. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    I certainly wouldn't expect "human" life... (hehe, there was a thread a while back where someone expressed indignation that the way non-US countries ran their affairs was unAmerican LOL)

But I do expect sentient life, though we may have to modify our understanding of sentience... man, I would love to be an exo-psychologist ;)

Trance-formation, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  15. mohamad1983

mohamad1983 Peon

Best Answers:
    comeon guys everyone is willing to know what is going out in the outer space and if there is life or no on other planets....dont you know that this little green planet has lots of unknown places and many undiscovered creatures and lots of secrets that scientists wont discover, in even thousands of years, thats because of the secrets of god which he had left to improve his highness......

mohamad1983, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  16. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    agrees with mohamad1983

Trance-formation, Nov 11, 2004 IP