1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you backed up

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fishing Forum, Apr 5, 2005.

Are you backed up - Well my sites are but I was not !!

What I am saying is if something had happened to me no one would have know my account details / passwords ect

So I ve made a list and given it to family with all the info on as three site bring in money worth keeping on

So how many have done the same ??

Fishing Forum, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Not a bad point actually. Will have to consider that. If I were to get killed by a bus today then that would mean big problems in terms of all login username password combo's stuck in my head.

T0PS3O, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I did this some time ago for everything. These days everything has a password, pin, secret handshake etc, and although I have them all memorized I was amazed at how many there was.

I set up an Excel spreadsheet and started entering them. I think I ended up with about 60 different user name/password combinations and that was just for the important stuff like bankin logins and all of my sites.

Good Idea!

yfs1, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  4. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I read that and my immeidiate reaction was to back up my sites, again :) but that is an excellent (all be it depressingly morbid) point about login info. That has been added to my ever growing todo list. Thanks for bringing it up.

dct, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  5. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    A low-tech way is to put all your passwords in an envelope and seal it. If you find it open one day, change all passwords. A high-tech way is to encrypt your secret data using encrypted file system (EFS) or equivalent mechanism and designate one or two recovery agents who can decrypt data, if required. One cool way that I never used is to use key sharing (a key gets broken onto N shares and you need to assmble N-K shares in order to decrypt the data). Using this mechanism, you can give parts of the key to several people and they would have to put it together to decrypt the data.

J.D.

J.D., Apr 5, 2005 IP
  6. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    I actually had this happen when I had a sudden medical emergency and spent 10 days in the hospital; non-functional from anesthesia, surgery and drugs.

My solution has been to build a spreadsheet of user names and passwords which I keep on my computer in a location I have told everyone about. However, I also bought one of the memory sticks which I carry in my pocket. Since it plugs into the USB port it is easy to update. That way I always have an offsite backup.

Recently I bought an external harddrive and a Ghost program. My plan with that is to keep complete copies of my drives on it and store it at work. I'll bring it home periodically for updates. That way if the house burns down or someone steals the computer I can be up and running again quickly.

mhdoc, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  7. TheWebJunkie

TheWebJunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    But if someone hacks into your pc your screwed :(

TheWebJunkie, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  8. TheWebJunkie

TheWebJunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    Very good idea, im going to do this right now :D

TheWebJunkie, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  9. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    That ain't happening where I keep it ;)

yfs1, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  10. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Basically I'd have to say trust the ones that need to take over if - well, when - you die.

A spreadsheet printed and deposited in the bank vault should do it - like the generation or two before us did with silverware, jewellery and stuff like that.

Doeh... never got around to actually doing it :eek: :p

miko67, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You can set Bios password and Windows password. Then password protect the file whilst being encrypted as well. Then put it on a machine that isn't on the WWW and not connected to the network.

Pretty secure.

T0PS3O, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  12. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I am thinking of buying RoboForm. It has a software that will synchronise with your USB and if your missing someone can still access your home computer if not your usb.

sadcox66, Apr 5, 2005 IP