1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article Directory Script - Your comments required

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by xenyo, Jan 28, 2008.

Hi DPers,

I am developing an article Directory Script at the moment which is near completion. Would appreciate some comments, suggestions and feedback from you guys.

The client side is fully operation at the moment at http://www.xenyo.com/articles/

We developed it initially for our own ArticleDashboard article directories as the AD script is encoded and we wanted to customise stuff. However, since we have the script, we are looking to offer it free to you guys when we finish off the admin side.

We are looking to offer all the functionality of the AD script as well as other features that we have gathered from years of running article directories. It'll based on the SMARTY template system so its very customisable.

Anyways, appreciate any feedback on it.

xenyo, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  2. YesBrilliant

YesBrilliant Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems nice.

Just two remarks:
    - I'd bring the "Latest Articles" to the right side column, mid-screen, so that to increase traffic.
    - Another combination of colours other than just red would be inviting to more people.

Good job.

YesBrilliant, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  3. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers YesBrilliant,

Both of your comments will be easily changeable by the webmaster in the templates. I have wierd design tastes :p

In fact, I'll probably get some designers to do some standard templates when we release the script.

Be good if ppl can register and submit some articles... Actually the URL for the directory will remain and we'll run it as a proper Article Directory. Considering the success we have had with ArticleGOLD and also hopefully the script be attract more links than normal Article Directories, it'll be good to get your articles in now :)

xenyo, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  4. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hopefully you will post in this thread when it is ready to go.

I would love to take a closer look at it.

Only comment is that the masses might like a little more color on the page.

Colbyt, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  5. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thx Colb,

What is it with you guys and color :p

But its good that I know that I need to add some killer templates to the script before we launch. The template system will be fully customisable and really easy to do templates for. Actually the current one is converted by my coder which has no previous design or CSS experience.

At the moment I am concentrating on making it strong SEO wise, HTML complaint and also good in functionality.

xenyo, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  6. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer the Google look. Most people want "eye candy".

Colbyt, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  7. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, note to myself .. add some colourful templates ...

On another note... It nice to see that the directory is getting good results SEO wise with hits from Google already even though its only got a few articles we copied from other directories and also from only a link on this thread and also a link on Xenyo site.

Will continue to tidy up junk code and optimize to improve SEO results.

xenyo, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  8. thundercow

thundercow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oops! Typo on front page of Xenyo (good name by the way, reminds me of Kudzu or Kijiji) "Authors Sign-up" is possessive, so it should read Author's Sign-up with the apostrophe.

Are you offering the script for free? If so, I am looking to convert my site to script-driven rather than html.

thundercow, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  9. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thx Thundercow,

yes the script will be free... we are just adding security measures into it at the moment.

Will do the spelling thing on next update. The template is fully customizable so stuff like that can be changed as you like.

Matt

xenyo, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  10. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks simple & professional. Good Work !!

I think you need to move 'Latest Articles' to right column (may be just below navigation)

Suri.CMS, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  11. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Suri..

Yeah thats movable in the template system too.. If I put it in the right column, some articles will need to be double lined though .. hmm... will see

xenyo, Mar 26, 2008 IP