1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

As A Business Owner, How Likely are you to get a Mobile App?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by MaxSerp, May 28, 2014.

I just want to gauge the interest that business owners may have regarding a mobile application. Also if you guys want to add to this questions, let me know how much you would actually pay for one!

Thanks!

MaxSerp, May 28, 2014 IP
  2. Sabrina73

Sabrina73 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As of two weeks ago, I worked for one of the largest (if not the largest) media companies in Chicago (advertising). Now, I work for another one of the largest digital/online advertising companies in the United States. What I find interesting is that they both said that at least 50% of their business come from mobile apps/tablets.

With that said, I am starting a second website and the first thing I said is: I've got to get a mobile app for the site... Or, make it dynamic enough that the site is responsive.

This is very important because the digital medium is moving to the forefront. I used to work for newspapers and print media. The future is in digital medium, at least in the United States.

Sabrina73, May 28, 2014 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I looked at the software options for writing an app and was shocked at the monthly fees - I think small business owners are happy to pay for your time to write an app but they expect it to be free from then on. I'm not sure how aware they are of the real cost of apps.

sarahk, May 28, 2014 IP
  4. Sabrina73

Sabrina73 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I hope it's not too expensive, 'cause I'm gonna need one of these! I haven't even started to shop around yet.

Sabrina73, May 28, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess it all depends on how you intend to monetise it. In our case it increased the risk of the venture significantly. Didn't kill it but that's what business planning is all about, right?

sarahk, May 28, 2014 IP
  6. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've thought about looking into this but gave up the idea fairly quickly. Personally I think smartphones are fairly well adapted by now and you can view almost any site as its designed just using the browser, so for our site itself I let it go. What we may end up doing though is an app for our users to monitor/control their VPS/dedi/colo servers using it. Whether I would actually pay for it or try to develop it in-house, I likely would try the latter option to save costs and gauge customer interest in the app.

ironcladservers, May 28, 2014 IP
  7. HostSailor

HostSailor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say 1500-2000 USD for a suitable mobile application to enable your customers to manage their services, support tickets and what not directly with your company can indeed be a great feature to users especially that now days the majority of people depend solely on their mobile apps since they are almost hands free from their mobiles and tablets, I myself manage most of the network work on my smartphone, its just very handy, so I'm sure that can kick some good sales in.

HostSailor, May 29, 2014 IP
  8. MaxSerp

MaxSerp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I am trying to start a company with some great support, communications, but best of all, an affordable price that each and every person/business can afford. All with a great support plan.

Anyways, thanks for the great answer!

MaxSerp, May 29, 2014 IP
    FAT238 likes this.
  9. twothirdsreturn

twothirdsreturn Active Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.como.com/

You should take a look at their service. They allow business owners to create apps without prior programming experience. This a great move.

But as a builder of technology you have to start thinking of where the USERS are going instead of where the companies are going, because after all, the companies are going to follow the users anyway!

for instance.

your question: does a company want a mobile app?
    a better question: if every company had a mobile app, would a user download them all?

you have to think better in terms of where the users are going, what their pain points are, and how to fix them at scale.

you have to start thinking in terms of niches and platforms.

Like this:

does a doctor want an app, if so why? (niche)
    possible answer: yes, because I could send push notifications on them and send private messages to my clients.

if one doctor wants this, could I build one app that allows any doctor to manage his clients in this way? (platform)
    possible answer: yes, and i could charge for this service.

you are asking good questions, but you have to ask better questions. and you must think in terms of niches and platforms.

good luck

-twothirdsreturn

twothirdsreturn, Jun 3, 2014 IP
    MaxSerp likes this.
  10. MaxSerp

MaxSerp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great points to put up, and something that I will for sure look into. This is a field that is still new, and although large companies may have apps, I envision that one day, every business is able to put out apps. Either way, thank you so much for good tips and insight!

MaxSerp, Jun 3, 2014 IP