1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BAD BAD SEO Companies - 1stPlace - 1p.com

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mrdjkcool, May 24, 2005.

I would like to know if anyone has heard about any really bad SEO companies. I have one story in particular about a company called www.1p.com or First Place. (I believe they were formerly www.trafficpower.com)

Anyway, what they do is try to harvest all of their client list from other SEO companies. They search out SEO companies clients and then call them PRETENDING to be them. They then bill them and camouflage it like they are actually the SEO company doing the work.

They also call companies and bad mouth every other SEO company in the industry. I wish I could remember the guys I was talking to a while back... I believe his name was Adam.

Thinking I was a potential client he proceeded to show me what they do to get business... which is marketing ANOTHER website which forwards to the client that signs up.

Anyway... I just wanted to get some feedback out there to see if anyone had any more information about this awful company www.1p.com or First Place.

Oh and PS - when asked why they arent placed anywhere --- their response is that the DONT WANT TO BE. WHY? Because they want to fly under the radar of Google so that they dont catch them using there sleazy techniques.

WOW -- is all i can say. This is my first experience with a truly truly crooked SEO company. I feel compelled to write about them as they are surely one of the top dogs that are giving other SEO's a bad name.

mrdjkcool, May 24, 2005 IP
    YianG likes this.
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Yep, that's trafficpower. And yep, they BLOW!!

Crazy_Rob, May 24, 2005 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    We've gotten called by them time and time again. I let them go through thier spiel just to see what kind of spammy techniques they're currently using then I hang up. What a bunch of bottom feeders.

mopacfan, May 24, 2005 IP
  4. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would sure to love to have their domain though. Really cool name. :)

City2, May 24, 2005 IP
  5. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    About a year ago the muck hit the fan with regard Traffic power. They were doing allsorts to client pages, including their mainstay of seo. link building with hidden links to spam (200 per page) and eventually the WHOLE of the traffic power network was banned from Google. I am talking about every identified client of TP was thrown out of Googles index, BANNED.

I have worked on a couple of TP sites, and it was a case of going through every page code, line by line to remove the spam.

1p & the others are the old TP. avoid them like the plague.

Old Welsh Guy, May 24, 2005 IP
  6. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    They are still calling people up. I think they are getting the phone numbers from whois, They have called me twice in the last 2 months.

kalius, May 24, 2005 IP
  7. mrdjkcool

mrdjkcool Guest

Best Answers:
    They have actually called me on several occasions and their methods are just ridiculous. Even take a look at their tuturial. http://1p.com/SEO/tutorial2.htm Its just wrong from the get-go.

They clearly have a strong outbound call system. The problem lies in their complete lack of ethics. I dont know how many lessons this guy Adam from FIRST PLACE has to learn. If you get barred once, why keep doing things immorally?

mrdjkcool, May 24, 2005 IP
  8. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, look at the pictures they have on their page. Don't turn flash on when the room is already super bright! And why does everyone in the pic look so angry?

Thanks for the info. There are too many con sites on the Internet nowaday.

YianG, May 26, 2005 IP
  9. Talkfreelance

Talkfreelance Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't trust a company with a webdesign as nasty as that! :)

Talkfreelance, May 30, 2005 IP
  10. markkk

markkk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When choosing right SEO company, I dont want to gamble my site for cheap and unknown company. I suggest go to the proven one.

Cheers! :)

markkk, May 31, 2005 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Right - and this place would be great to ask for advice first :)
    I have heard a lot of seo company horror stories. For legal reasons I cannot name names of course, but I know that any sort of common sense research could have prevented the mistakes of choosing them.

Blogmaster, May 31, 2005 IP
  12. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Everybody probably knows about the Las Vegas based SEO company. TP. DO I need to write the full name ?

honey, May 31, 2005 IP
  13. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    No you don't ... what did they do this time? :D

14. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    FirstPlace called me today.

I feel so special. :p

Will.Spencer, May 31, 2005 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    They never called me :( I just get the spam calls from overseas design sweatshops a lot ...

16. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never got a call from anyone other than Glenn Candy... (or his people). They got my details from a link exchange I made with them years ago. (I was naive).

I kept him talking from a phone in the US (him) to a Mobile [sell] phone in the UK (me) for about an hour... Then I told him I wasn't interested and he should go away.

Then he called me every other day for 2 months.

SEbasic, May 31, 2005 IP
  17. grandmac

grandmac Guest

Best Answers:
    Internet Advancement
    Super Scam - Promises, Promises no one could keep - Don't refund money when they have not done what they guaranteed.
    Stay away from them.
    Carol

grandmac, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  18. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those bastards are stealing business from other legitimate SEO companies. So they steal other SEOs clients, that is really pathetic.

Kaabi, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  19. mrdjkcool

mrdjkcool Guest

Best Answers:
    Not only that but they are hurting the names of good SEO's that do good and legitimate work. Unethical SEO's are bad for business and if anyone has any ideas on how to eliminate them it would only help the industry.

I have many more stories about this company --- the facts are astounding with them.

mrdjkcool, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  20. Cartman

Cartman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ironic, they called me today, gave me their song and dance, and then said they'd like to sell me their $3000 package. Yeah right.

If anyone's bored and wants to do some reasearch though, I'm curious how the sites they showcase got their #1 spots on Google. Here are the sites they showed:

http://www.overdrivepc.com/ (for "gaming pc")
    http://www.diamondcutjeans.com/ (for "mens jeans" and "womens jeans")
    http://www.talentzoo.com/ (for "jobs in advertising")

Cartman, Jan 30, 2006 IP