1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS for Gaming Community website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by lonerunner, Aug 22, 2010.

I know this question is posted many times on whats best news wesite, but often news websites are only informative, and not social friendly.

Im thinking about making Gaming Community website, something like gamespot.com, ign.com, g4tv.com, gamesradar.com, but smaller, based only on PC games. Site need to be social friendly, have forum, archive, and lot of categories and sections, and created in open source CMS.

Many of you will chose Drupal or joomla, and this is my choice, but i still have doubts. I created once small community website for Quakers (quakemania.tk) in joomla. But configuring joomla and installing many different plugins can cause lot of bugs on website, in other hand im not much familiar with drupal and its community is way smaller than joomla. Both CMS's are great and can fit website needs, but both CMS's have some disadvantages.

What is your opinion and what cms you would prefer for this type of website.

lonerunner, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  2. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal, you can much beter customize it with for example with modules such as Views, CCK and Panels. Also the SEO, template engine, performance, support and the security is much beter. Joomla has many updates/fixes, updates are asking/wasting your time. When you forget to update the core or some modules then there will be a big chance you will get hacked. And when I think off how many big international companies and organisations use Drupal then it is obvious which one is more professional.

Sony, MTV, Amnesty International, Greenpeace, The White House and so on are using Drupal for more examples just Google it :)

dennisb, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  3. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah another vote for Drupal here. It's not really a news site and only covers people playing one game but you can see an example of one I built at Fighting Mongooses with the forum, archives, user profiles, blogs, pms, various other social type features.

Drupal is awesome for this stuff.

kiramanic, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  4. lonerunner

lonerunner Member

Best Answers:
    And i thought that most of people will vote for drupal when it comes for big community websites. I know joomla and i like it personally but its not designed for big websites, joomla is for smaller single game community websites like one i created at quakemania.tk. But first thing i noticed is Forum. While joomla have great kunena addon forum, drupal have integrated forum but with lack of functionality and dont have any great forum addon as i can see.

lonerunner, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  5. airgamer

airgamer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Drupal is a pain in the rectum :p Personally, I use wordpress because of its flexibility. I also recommend Enjin. Enjin is like the next-generation of wordpress catered directory to gamers. It offers features that are designed specifically for gamers in its CMS/forum software. It offers free and affordable packages and has a great community forum.

airgamer, Sep 2, 2012 IP
  6. nufox

nufox Peon

Best Answers:
    If you use Wordpress, you can just use their highly rated Yoast SEO plugin.

nufox, Sep 7, 2012 IP