1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS for this site including a blog.

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Isaac Kendrick, Jul 31, 2008.

I am going to convert this site - http://pacifickitchenandbath.com/ - to a CMS and I want to add a blog to one of the pages. I was thinking about Cushy CMS but how should I handle the blog? Should I just make one of the links go to a wordpress blog?

The major updates will be to the blog and photo album. Can anyone suggest a CMS for me or how I should combine two CMS's?

Thanks

Isaac Kendrick, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  2. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could just use WP for it all, since you want to use it for the blog. It'll make it easy to maintain.

Cushy is a nice little system, but if you already would be running WP, then no problem using the static front, and page blot setting.

pj1s, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  3. Isaac Kendrick

Isaac Kendrick Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh really? I can make normal pages in WP? Not just blog entries?

Do they have modules or plugins for a slideshow too?

Isaac Kendrick, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  4. einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would use Drupal and enable the Blog module. While I love wordpress and use it heavily, I think Drupal is way more scaleable and elegant, and has a lot of power if you really dig into it.

To answer your question, you can make normal pages in WP by clicking on the Write Page tab instead of the default Write Post tab. This is what I got when I searched slideshows in the wordpress plugins section: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=slideshow

einsteinsboi, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  5. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The guy that made the website in question is a wordpress fan. At the bottom of the page - Design by Andreas Viklund. He even has some wordpress themes on his site - http://andreasviklund.com/wordpress-themes/

He might have built the site in question with wordpress, but I can not find the admin log in. He may have hid the admin log-in to prevent people from probing the site and trying to guess the password. He also offers some free HTML templates on his site.

But to answer the question, that looks like a simple wordpress site. If you look at the source code, there is no mention of wordpress. But then again, it might just be a simple HTML site.

~kev~, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  6. timothywcrane

timothywcrane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress will probably still be your best bet. It does have a standard interface for adding both pages and blog posts by default. If you want to add on a photo album, I would incorporate any stand alone album with matching template colors and add the link into your menu setup by a simple hyperlink. One thing you might even think of doing is setting up your photo album on a subdomain. I would recommend Gallery as a photo album.

If the main reason for the CMS need is ultimate compatibility and theming between them, then my favorite is Joomla. If you later on wanted to add on a forum or other component then it is a simple point and click procedure using the Community Builder module. I have used it with both Gallery (photo album) and fireboard (forum) seamlessly.

timothywcrane, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  7. IE-M

IE-M Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    for cms use joomla with the "myblog" component which is very similar to wordpress you will aslo find some great photo album components (flash & static) to showcase your kitchen & bath showrooms.

visit the joomal extension site: extensions(dot)joomla(dot)org/

you'll find free and paid components for what your looking for.

IE-M, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  8. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress of course....it has static pages feature if you want to use a static page.

Ibn Juferi, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  9. Francis Drake

Francis Drake Peon

Best Answers:
    If you just need a few static pages and a blog, go with WP. But if you want to be more flexible and add - let's say - a shop or something, take Drupal. Drupal is hard to learn in the beginning, bu you will not regret your decision if you use Drupal. You have millions of possibilities with Drupal and a very good community.

Francis Drake, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  10. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal can do both job for you..blogging+ image gallery.
    Visit drupal.org for more information.

aap, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  11. BANAGO

BANAGO Active Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress would do that perfectly. Need Help?

BANAGO, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  12. jacky8

jacky8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have money to consult experts either at freelancing websites or at a local web design agency, then you can go for joomla or drupal. It will be a lot better for you.
    But if you dont want to spend much money on professional advice, i would recommend wordpress. It is very simple, you can find good free themes and do very easy editing and posting. You can make pages and posts here. It will take a little time to learn - plus enjoy various plugins like gallery, slideshows, comments, ajax ones, etc. If you want some professional held and modification with WP, it is cheaper than other stuff.
    I hope that helps a bit.

jacky8, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  13. redzventures

redzventures Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest Drupal for the website and Wordpress for the blog. You can add the Wordpress blog as a primary menu link. Google loves Wordpress and it is very easy to use. Once you add regular content and make sure their auto pinging services are enabled then your site has a good chance of being indexed properly. Wordpress now offer the option of pinging automated pinging services every time the blog is updated. You can edit and add additional pinging services to the list but one should suffice. I would just add Pingates.

redzventures, May 1, 2011 IP