1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS for video games news website? We're growing out of WP.

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Powka, Jun 3, 2012.

Hello there,

Just a quick question to ask about your opionion what is currenly considered the best CMS for news type of website (particularly video games, with strong emphasis on reviews, previews, etc.) that is not expensive or is entirely free?

Also, do you think websites like IGN, Eurogamer, GiantBomb, GamesIndustry, etc. using their own programmed CMSs or are they based on some good commercial thing?

Such powerhouses like IGN probably have their own system, however independent ones like GiantBomb might easily be using something they bought of third party.

We've recently launched a new video games news website and its growing pretty fast. We've been using Wordpress and just a news/magazine theme, however I can see with this kind of growth that we might need to switch to something more powerful, as there are a lot of editors writing, and plenty of content.

Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks for your help guys!

Powka, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  2. ch@ts

ch@ts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Most have a custom built cms's.
    But, I came across one built on Drupal, and that looks pretty good.
    The sites called "MegaGames".
    I can't post links yet, so you'll have to google it.

ch@ts, Jun 18, 2012 IP
  3. ch@ts

ch@ts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I like Drupal cos you can use advance caching and CDN's to make things run faster.
    It scales well, and is perfect for sites with lots of content creators.

ch@ts, Jun 18, 2012 IP
  4. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well the question for my is why are you thinking to outgrow Wordpress. For me it sound's like it is the user management that causes problems for you.

You know there are plenty of websites having thousands of registered users build on wordpress, the crucial point is to tweak the database and servers it's able to handle the number of requests fast and efficient.

Sensei.Design, Jun 18, 2012 IP