1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS for Video Sites

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by gder01, Feb 18, 2008.

Hi, b/c many CMS sites have big communities, I thought it might be cheaper and easier to make a video site (kind of like youtube clone) on a CMS.

Is my thinking correct?

Any good CMS for streaming video sites?
    My site would have a lot of unique features, so I am not sure if a CMS would be able to accommodate my needs.

Also I hear joomla sites use up a lot of resources for video sites. Any alternatives?

Also, any links that show video sites would be sweet so I can see what different CMS can do.

Thanks guys.

gder01, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  2. modeca

modeca Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Joomla and Seyret.

It does seem to be resource heavy but the feature set is pretty impressive and very quick to add new videos.
    :)

modeca, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  3. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Almost any video script is going to be resource-heavy, especially if conversion is involved. ;)

"Best" is subjective. This really depends upon what you're trying to accomplish. In terms of open source, no-cost products, you can use Joomla with Seyret, but that's if you are also building more of a social-networking site and want to be have "plug-n-play" ability to add more features on the fly. If you want an all-in-one package, PHPMotion may be more up your alley.

Those are just two out of a bunch of options. I'd say, stop by Hotscripts and take the time to peruse what's posted there if you haven't already. Also, ask web hosts. They are the ones who have to deal with this stuff daily, and can probably tell you what works well in, say, shared hosting environments (which is what most of us start out using).

Bratzilla, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  4. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been looking for a solution for nearly half a year, there is no best solution. The closest I came to getting was clipshare (clip-share.com), however I was turned off to how the URLs were a bunch of junk and not search engine friendly. It is definitely the nicest looking one and has a lot of features. You'd just have to put up with the lack of SEF url's.

As a result, I just decided to use Wordpress to build a video site. It involves a painful amount of time (everything has to be copied/pasted into each page, tweaked, etc) but now I have SEF url's and I'm using a stable CMS that loads relatively quickly, unlike Joomla.

Pixelrage, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  5. NathanH

NathanH Peon

Best Answers:
  6. dj0471

dj0471 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thinking of starting a youtube clone? bit late innit ?!

dj0471, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  7. floop

floop Peon

Best Answers:
    ClipShare PRO is very nice.

floop, Mar 12, 2008 IP