1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS to run a online newspaper or magazine

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Cypherus, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Satelx

Satelx Peon

Best Answers:
    Blaq -
    Their price is on the features page. I agree, should probably be more obvious.
    We've just had a round of cool upgrades too, so when they say they use your fees for ongoing development, looks like they actually might.
    Good luck!

Satelx, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  2. whitehuskey

whitehuskey Peon

Best Answers:
    i think wordpress is the best

whitehuskey, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  3. travelmate

travelmate Active Member

Best Answers:
    travelmate, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  4. macada

macada Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, have you tried OpenNemas. It's a cms for digital newspapers. Secure, simple and easy to use.
    My company has been using OpenNemas for two years and works great for us.
    I think there is a demo page: demo . opennemas . com or you can check it out in openhost . es/en/opennemas. They have a free hosting for digital newspapers, something similar than wordpress.
    Hope this helps

macada, Apr 18, 2010 IP
  5. luckystar12345

luckystar12345 Peon

Best Answers:
    Try Drupal. It's a steep learning curve but it's very SEO friendly and I have seen many online mags use it very effectively. Although to re-itterate... to get it looking as good as some of the sites I have seen you might have to hire someone to get it looking that way. You can learn on your own to get it started but to get it looking real slick is another matter. It's a very very steep learning curve. I gave up on it for a site I had it was too much a pain in the butt but I have seen some really phenomenal sites using it well.

luckystar12345, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  6. TomDeLonge

TomDeLonge Peon

Best Answers:
    I know a guy from a local newspaper and they use Drupal and happy with it. As for a learning curve it is true. It's harder to start then with Wordpress, but later it'll be much easier and faster to develop new features for your site.

TomDeLonge, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  7. HiMyNameIsErez

HiMyNameIsErez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try wordpress with magazine theme,should be perfect

HiMyNameIsErez, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  8. dailytrip

dailytrip Peon

Best Answers:
    You should take Wordpress 3.0 in consideration really as it really have huge community with big list of plugins.

dailytrip, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  9. Satelx

Satelx Peon

Best Answers:
    We tried the opensource stuff out there and i'm a big fan of opensource for most of my software. The only drawback is that development is at the progamming community's discretion. After waiting for over a year for a function (which did eventually turn up and we were very grateful) i started looking around at contracting a developer for some specific needs. Can be an expensive hobby! Good thing about EzyMedia now is that we just log our request or suggestions and, provided i guess the ideas make sense, we get it within a couple of months. We even got one request built the next week.
    Horses for courses I guess.

Satelx, May 13, 2010 IP
  10. fandor

fandor Active Member

Best Answers:
    fandor, Aug 12, 2010 IP
  11. herri

herri Peon

Best Answers:
    absolutly agree, use wordpress. its can make for many purpose :D

herri, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  12. Chandrakant Prasad

Chandrakant Prasad Peon

Best Answers:
    I support Wordpress theme "i-Blog" for Online Magazine .

Chandrakant Prasad, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  13. sirjonathan

sirjonathan Peon

Best Answers:
    On the Open Source side of things, WordPress (especially with the recent release of 3.1) is a great solution.

On the paid side, have you taken a look at Newsroom yet?

sirjonathan, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  14. Satelx

Satelx Peon

Best Answers:
    Prices all seem pretty obvious to me on EzyMedia site. And they use a bunch of opensource, including Wordpress, for their technologies.

Satelx, Mar 28, 2011 IP
  15. rain21

rain21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    wordpress will be the best,

rain21, Apr 10, 2011 IP
  16. john503

john503 Peon

Best Answers:
    We switched from drupal to LVSYS (http://lvsys.com/newspaper) for our website and we'd loved it ever since. It's commercial though, so you'll pay a premium but it's been sooooo worth it. No more plugin headaches from WP or drupal, and the backend is awesome.

john503, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  17. weptile

weptile Peon

Best Answers:
    By far Wordpress. Does everything you need, plus more, easier than you think to customize and easiest to learn and use. I just love it and we recommend it to almost all our clients.

weptile, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  18. Manjula Gupta

Manjula Gupta Member

Best Answers:
    KREATIO is the most suitable and appreciable cms for online newspaper and magazine. Its features are mostly built considering editors who actualy handle the web content. Its very easy to handle and even a non-technical guy can use it with ease.

Manjula Gupta, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  19. ncacace

ncacace Peon

Best Answers:
    How many people here actually know the business end of running an online Newspaper..?

I certainly wouldn't hold too much weight in the opinion of those who recommended a particular CMS because it had a great Newspaper theme. Managing a Newspaper certainly involves more than choosing a few CSS layouts. What about managing all your journos? Ease of Publishing for non-tech savy employees? Levels of editing? Paying Journos for submissions? Advertising and Multi-device Publishing....I could go on.

I also wouldn't listen to opinions of individuals that find, for example, ExpressionEngine too expensive (Probably up for less than $1000) Seriously..? If you are avoiding a solution based on such a paltry sum for something so important as your business then maybe you're just not that serious.

I'm currently researching CMSs at the moment for Online News Papers as well and would be very interested to hear some qualified opinions of people who actually are involved in the Online News Business - instead of Wordpress|Joomla etc... CMS fanboys - Thanks

ncacace, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  20. Michael Assad

Michael Assad Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been in the CMS industry for 11 years - long enough to learn that there is a CMS specific to every conceivable task :)

For magazines, there are three that stand out:

Agility Magazine Suite - http://www.agilitycms.com/magazine-suite.aspx

MetroPublisher - http://www.metropublisher.com/

GTXcel - http://www.gtxcel.com/

Agility is also commonly used for Newspapers - I'm not sure about the other two.

WordPress is a great solution to get started on a budget - as long as you have some tech knowledge or someone to help - there is a lot of tinkering.

Stay away from Drupal - it's a mess.

Michael Assad, Sep 26, 2013 IP