1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best practices for a software company formation

Discussion in 'General Business' started by smartcard, Nov 19, 2008.

We are starting a new small software development company by hiring few software programmers.

I would like to hear from the forum, what are the best less risk "Best Practices" for a software company.

I also would like to know how other companies are dealing with, particularly how they are protecting the source code from the employees who are working with the codes.

Also, what are the way to have a good Quality Assurance so that it would help not only our clients but also for us to manage the software codes even if our programmers leave the company.

Thank you.

smartcard, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  2. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Basically the only control over the source from employees is contracts; if they leave/get fired, they shouldn't be capable of starting a company like that for a year or use anything belonging to the company. The former doesn't work in a lot of countries in the EU, but I hear it is fine in the US.

Try to not get too many employees; very expensive and the highest risk for a company.

Quality can be managed by creating code conventions, use a versioning system (a lot of companies work without it; that is *insane*), use a good programmer to review the other people their code and enforce documentation.

Kwaku, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  3. agentsmith77

agentsmith77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You just started a company and already hiring employees?

Your number 1 concern with a new company should be sales. Check out the book "Ready, Fire, Aim" by Michael Masterson.

To be honest, I would focus on sales and marketing. You can always outsource the work that secured.

Having fixed expenses, especially payroll is detrimental for a young company.

agentsmith77, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  4. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can set the rules by clearly state that your worker will not use or modify the source code when they leave your company else they will be charge in court.
    To make your worker loyal to you so that they will not leave you,you can make a bonus to your worker by offering they to buy stock of your company at cheaper than market price.
    My company using stock option to encourage worker to work harder

mentos, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  5. gangesTech

gangesTech Peon

Best Answers:
    sales, sales and more sales

gangesTech, Aug 29, 2010 IP