1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best script for hobby based social networking site?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by matt608@, Sep 12, 2009.

I'm going to start a social networking site for a people who like a certain hobby. I looked a phpizabi for a while and realized it seems to be dead and has issues when user numbers increase, so after spending far too long testing that out, I'm here for some advice. (And please excuse my paranoia for not saying what this hobby is exactly):

I need a social networking CMS that fits these criteria:

- Allows members to submit articles (not just have a blog). The article can be rated by other members. These articles will be 'reviews' of items in this hobby. The aim being to form a review directory written and rated by the members.
    - All the usual social networking features (inboxes, profile, groups, blogs, events, messageboard/forum, videos, photos)
    - Ability to add an extra page in the main navigation that goes to an ecommerce store which is on a subdomain
    - Something that isn't too complicated. I am not a programmer. I can use Wordpress, but that's about it.
    - I am planning to grow the site to having a few thousand members (say 10,000 would be a goal, anything more than 15,000 is dreamland), the CMS needs to be able to cope with this.
    - I don't really want to spend more than a few hundred dollars. Free or nearly free would be nice, but if it's $300 and amazing, I'll go for it.
    - A bonus would be for it to be able to be hosted at Bluehost, because I already have an account there.

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks

Matt

matt608@, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  2. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress 'll be best for you.

wildogre, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is difficult to find a "one size fits all" app for this sort of thing but you can likely get it done with http://elgg.org/

I may have time to give you a hand with it.
    hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  4. Masterofkeys123

Masterofkeys123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that it's not easy to match ready-made software with your Business idea. Nevertheless give a try to PG Social Networking at Dating Pro dot com site.

They have vast amount of features and that might match you!

Masterofkeys123, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  5. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want free and easy take a look at ning.

internetmarketingiq, Jan 11, 2010 IP