1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to implement content management?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by JMasterJ, Dec 13, 2009.

I had done some research on this before, but I really need to nail down my best option for installing a content management system for a web site I design, whether it is already done or I am building ground up.

In the past I have had my friend do a custom php install that worked very well. However I am more of a designer than developer, and hate programming. HTML is the only one I know, and java stuff I copy and paste and tweak. My strength is in layout, Photoshop, etc....

I have looked into and tried Joomla and Drupal, and both are highly unsatisfying to me, as far as flexibility to design and user friendliness.

I have thought about spending some time learning Ruby on Rails because I have heard SO many good things about it.

Or, the easy way out may be hire someone through odesk to do it for me at like $15/hr.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, hopefully by someone who had been in my position before and have now been churning out db managed sites.... THANKS!

JMasterJ, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  2. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    What kind of site? How much content?

diggathedog, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  3. JMasterJ

JMasterJ Member

Best Answers:
    Say a simple HTML site with limited CSS, 5 pages, simple content... will need to be able to make text changes with word-type formatting, the basics, and also be able to replace images.

JMasterJ, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  4. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, in all honesty, if the site is that small in scope, then have you really discounted stuff like wordpress, or an all-in-one CMS that still lets you play around with CSS and HTML? If designing is more your thing, and you're aiming for simplicity, then maybe you shouldn't bother with anything that's just going to make things more complicated than they need be. Maybe ... ?

5. JMasterJ

JMasterJ Member

Best Answers:
    I thought wordpress was only good for adding blog capability, not actual HTML entries with images, etc.... as far as an all in one CMS, can you give me some specific top examples from your experience so I can give that a try? Thanks.

JMasterJ, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  6. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    Then I'd just be a walking billboard ... :) Ours, Jimdo, Weebly, Wix ... they're not all going to offer everything you're looking for, but try before you buy ... ! There are a good half dozen to dozen free website builders out there, offering various levels of control over CSS/HTML. If you have the time, take a look at what they're going to provide you and see if that matches up with what you're looking for.

7. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    HTML is a markup language not programming.

Find a nice platform you like... WordPress, Drupal, Joomla or whatever and create CSS skins for it.

internetmarketingiq, Dec 14, 2009 IP