1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to value a forum?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by thefunstarts, Aug 8, 2014.

I have been looking at buying a forum, and heard varying opinions on how to value one. To give some basic stats on the site:

A few years old, 500K Posts, 10K members, and approx $25K in revenue/year of which after marketing, advertising, SEO etc. they have $20K in profit. I feel I could do most of the SEO/Marketing myself which will save a pretty penny.

I have heard 1 year profit for a lot of websites, but forums are a lot less work(no content to generate), and more stable, so I thought that might be a low number. What metrics do you guys use? Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

thefunstarts, Aug 8, 2014 IP
  2. LiveFromCloud

LiveFromCloud Peon

Best Answers:
    Websites are selling for around 10-24 months in revenue. If you already know forum which you want to buy, try to negotiate, anything below 10 x monthly revenue is a bargain.

LiveFromCloud, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  3. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If there's no other interest in the website/forum, and the owner/s definitely want to sell. Ask yourself why do they want to sell? If it's profitable, perhaps its due to a lack of time for the forums. If this is the case, look for faults, mistakes general detrimental future effects from what is currently there, and try to pull them down.

Alternatively, everyone likes money, the more we have the easier our lives are. How about a proposal? Off them 75% of the value and 5% of the profits for the next 24 months... etc.

There's many ways you could get what you want, if you push them to move a little, for a lower cost that the big upfront one that you've potentially mentioned.

Sycrid, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  4. Webcenter

Webcenter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion you ain't gonna find a good earning forum for sale.
    Better start your own from scratch, is pretty hard to create a successful forum, but I'm sure you knew that.

Webcenter, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  5. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Best way to value is to imagine it has no revenue and then ask yourself what you can get out of it.

Any existing revenue could disappear. Historic figures are never a guarantee for future success.

giorgioarmani, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  6. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like that idea. It's a good approach.

Sycrid, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  7. Matei Gavriluta

Matei Gavriluta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ask the owner if they could rent the forum for 1-2 months and see if the sales are the same. I guess you can do something that will make this transparent enough to see either the forum is ok or not.

Matei Gavriluta, Aug 11, 2014 IP