1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog vs. Regular Website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by TheNoose, Dec 25, 2008.

I'm looking at starting a site for recipes in a certain niche. Do you guys think it would be best to do this as a website, like a large database of all the recipes, or as a blog and release a recipe a day with a review sort of thing?

Or perhaps a combination of both.

Just looking for some input, rather new to all this stuff.

Thanks

TheNoose, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  2. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think You should Go for wordpress which can be used for a perfect CMS or even your Blog purposes.
    it can make your website look like a usual CMS based Portal or even a blog.

Oranges, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  3. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll advice you to go with the blog. Self-Hosted Wordpress.org Blog to be specific :)
    Personally, I've found maintaining websites and constantly working with coding/uploading has been a pain in the neck. Wordpress blogs are great for adding content + visitor interaction and besides the search engines love them.

M3rC, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  4. sakto

sakto Active Member

Best Answers:
    Self hosted wordpress is the way to go.

Ive started with blogger and then when revenues were flowing already I have moved to self hosted wordpress blog. Customization and seo friendly aspects of wordpress is what makes it the in thing in bloggers world.

sakto, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  5. JoX23

JoX23 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for an easy and inexpensive way of managing your website then you will be hard pressed to find a better solution than a blog. Only downside to this is the lack of control over the sites appearance if you are not comfortable using CSS.

JoX23, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  6. TheNoose

TheNoose Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping this would be the consensus. CSS is no problem, plus with the number of free templates out there it's rather easy to find something at least similar to what your looking for that only requires a few modifications.

TheNoose, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  7. river

river Active Member

Best Answers:
    Think a blog would work well for you. People may return again and again to check out the latest recipes. Good Luck

river, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  8. pixarbaby

pixarbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    Easy and inexpensive is Blog

pixarbaby, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  9. NeoAkira

NeoAkira Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on how many recipes you will host and if you want to build a community or something like that in the future. If you only want to publish recipes than go with Wordpress. I would also recommend to host it yourself. You are much more flexible but you must look yourself for updates and security fixes. If you plan to grow bigger or want to do a membership-site or community features than I would recommend Drupal. You can also start with only a blog site here but have a full blown cms that is very SEO-friendly and has very good community-features and more flexible architecture you can grow with.

NeoAkira, Dec 29, 2008 IP