1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BuddyZone vs. PHPFox vs. Handshakes, which is better for a college social community?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by theprofessional, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisX

ChrisX Guest

Best Answers:

Alright tuff guy ;) Let's see a demo.

I'm still not going to be interested simply because of the way Joomla works for my site, but I'll take a look. I think you made a mistake using Wordpress. It has far too many limitations.

However, if you can re-work the thing to use Joomla instead of Wordpress, I am pretty sure you can pick up a huge amount of customers. Read the forums at Joomla.org. People are begging for something like this.

Community Builder is a joke, and right now that's their only option.

~Thanks

ChrisX, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  2. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Our admin panel uses AJAX so that you can arrange the FRONT PAGE however you want. Think of Widgets for Wordpress.

A joomla integration is in the works as well.

We are ready to take the market.

EJRaven, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  3. dudes

dudes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    :eek: all i have to say is:
    The boy's name Eric \e-ric\ is pronounced AIR-ik. It is of Scandinavian and Old Norse origin, and its meaning is "complete ruler".
    is on his blod!!!

dudes, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  4. ChrisX

ChrisX Guest

Best Answers:

Well? lol

Let's see the demo!

PM it to me if you want. I'll be very honest, in fact I'll rip it to shreds if I don't like it, lol. In detail. If I were you, I'd think about building a small focus group of interested folks. In return give them free licenses, provided they offer DETAILED feedback on your product. If you seriously want to be a player in the SN market, that's how you have to do it. Give the people what they want, not what you "think" they want.

Pick 10 people, with various target markets. People that want to build dating sites, general communities, schools sites, etc. You'll get a wide range of concerns, and a wide range of ideas. If you're interested, PM me and let me know. I'd be happy to tell you all about why I am looking for a good SN script that integrates with Joomla. I can't seem to find a script I like, so I'd be happy to work with you in order to get one built that I do.

Everything I find is either weak, or LAST week. Let's see what ya got.

~C

ChrisX, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  5. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:

That is a great idea, I will discuss this with my team and see how we will going to do this.

We wanna make sure that we have a top quality AJAX, Web 3.0 demo available before we go public. We have spent over 8 months developing and researching this project and we expect what any webmaster would expect from a social networking product:

Our vision is to provide webmasters with a complete social networking solution and to meet the needs for timely implementation, fully brandable, integratable, scalable from ten thousand to ten million concurrent users with no degradation in service, delivery of syndication, collaboration, and communication functionality users expect from social networks: profiles, blogs, galleries, classifieds, groups etc.

phpRaven is not only extensible but modular at the same time, we are creating a platform not a software where with our API and our module system you can create your own application, plug-ins, and mods for phpRaven, ala Facebook, plus our software is 100% open source.

The product's architecture is being built so that it can be easily linked or integrated with CMSs such as Wordpress, Joomla, and to some extend Drupal, we want to tie it all together.

We understand how important integration is to webmasters who's sites are already developed and are looking to add that social network platform to their existing websites, this is why our platform will come with a one click integration with vBulletin, IPB, SMF and other third-party web services such as userplane (video chat, chat systems), flashchat (various), openads (banner and advertising), browser toolbar creation tools, IM software, Keneva's 3D models, Photobucket, Second Life, among others leading software and social networking providers.

Most importantly again we are building a platform to extend and build upon, rather than software with defined limitations. As always written in PHP/MySQL.

Please be patient, once we reach 80% of product development we will roll out a testing demo and we will ask you to please make your recommendations so that we can add the functions that are most requested before we release our product. After all we are customers like yourself and we know how it feels to not a complete solution for your project.

EJRaven, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  6. Rusher

Rusher Peon

Best Answers:
    Is PHPRaven newbie friendly? I'm interested to one but the learning curve of some of the current softwares are really steep due to PHP/mySql knowledge requirement. I'm not that code-savvy.

I'd suggest that PHPRaven's interface would be something a long the line of Dreamweaver. Easy for beginners while allowing full control to experts (they can code it manually as they please).

Rusher, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  7. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    We are coding the admin panel as USER FRIENDLY as possible while at the same time we are adding advanced and detailed group, data, position specific edible areas.

Think of Invision Power Board's Admin Panel where you move and edit items using drag and drop AJAX functions.

Dreamweaver is a good example like you wrote.

EJRaven, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  8. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have plans for links.com that may be a godd fit your architecture. If you are seeking feedback and beta testing, please PM when you are ready. Thank you and good luck with your beta testing efforts.

Rich

richrf, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  9. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    so in conclusion, what's good for interemediate programmer? handsake ok?

toby, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  10. loggeo

loggeo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello anyone tried this script? www.boonex.com/products/dolphin/

loggeo, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  11. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    We are building this thing so that NO programming is needed to launch your site, I don't want you to label us as high skills only.

Our target audience is everyone, from novices, high end programmers to people who may want to host their social networks on our servers... we have all the bases covered.

EJRaven, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  12. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hey raven, so your phpraven gonna be free source?

toby, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  13. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes and no, it will NOT be open source as in FREE to download, but the software itself won't be encrypted therefore it will be easier to work with.

We want to attract as many developers as possible to help us build plug-ins and mods.

EJRaven, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  14. absoluto

absoluto Peon

Best Answers:
    so how much will it be then (roughly)?

absoluto, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  15. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Under $500 USD, well worth it for what the amount of customization, integration, tools, modules and support that will come standard with it.

As always we will support those that can't afford this fee by providing 3 options:

Lease licenses where you host your community on our servers for a small fee, ad banner paid hosting on our servers and a light version for download with limited features.

EJRaven, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  16. jsd219

jsd219 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello, i am new here. I have read quite a bit about the different social networking scripts from this forum. As others here i have noticed it comes down to a few: Handshakes, PHPFox, Buddy Zone. My question is this: i am looking for a script to mimic myspace's functions. I already bought 2 cool code's Our Space and the script was bad as well as their customer support. So now i am looking for another script. I have noticed Buddy Zone mimics myspace. (Which is what i want. I plan on make design changes later but i need all functions just like myspace.) Is buddy zone a bad script? if so is there any other script that will give me the functions i need?

God bless
    jason

jsd219, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  17. ChrisX

ChrisX Guest

Best Answers:
    I just talked to the lead developer of "Buddy Zone" today. An extremely intelligent, and all around nice guy. I have decided I will go with them, but due to their initial support duration I'm going to wait a month or two (because launch is months away) since I have other work to do with Joomla. Aside from that, Buddy Zone 2.0 is due to be released in July.

A couple of things to note...

1. They are located in India. So if you're in the USA and can't get anyone on the phone during your day that's because they are SLEEPING, lol. I received a call back from them late afternoon today.

2. Their support forum is not empty. Due to spam and moderation hassles they hide all the threads behind a login. Once you login, all the threads are visible.

3. They are very concerned with performance (men after my own heart). This is why you will not see some of the bells and whistles you might see with other scripts like templating. Modifying the layout and design takes work. You will probably not find a freebie theme out there that you can easily implement with a few clicks.

4. They do not support vBulletin yet. I'm told it can be done, but they didn't think they had enough demand. The best way to change this............ go to their support forum and "demand".

So I'm done, and I've made my choice. BuddyZone it is. Aside from some integration issues, it has everything I want.

PHPFox is buggy, and doesn't do what I need it to do.
    Handshakes doesn't cut it.
    PHPIzabi doesn't cut it.
    E-Friends doesn't do it either.

BuddyZone is the clear choice if you're looking for a true MySpace clone script. Check out their showcase sites and you'll see what I mean.

If I'm wrong, I'll come back and eat some crow. If I'm right, I'll come back after install to plug the product with my experiences.

~C

ChrisX, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  18. jsd219

jsd219 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply, yes it is the clear choice for a MySpace clone. my only concern is i have searched sites and talked with one person from my town that bought Buddy Zone but had so many issues with it they moved over to something else. I am getting the feeling that their demo is bug free but the actual script might have a lot of bugs. Then again i don't know if the person I talked with had the latest version or not. I just don't want to spend this kind of money on a script and have it be filled with bugs. I would like to run the script out of the box and have everything working, provided my hosting has the proper requirements and i installed correctly. Anyone else have an opinion?

God bless
    jsd219

jsd219, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  19. DJuse

DJuse Active Member

Best Answers:
    This guy was one of the best moderators and mods seller on phpFOX, I myself had a phpFOX site that just sold, if he is telling you that phpFOX have changed to be the worth then believe him....He helped me on a couple of occasion!!!

clenard Please send me a PM!

DJuse, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  20. DJuse

DJuse Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh and by the way, ChrisX and jsd with 8 and 2 post are obviosly BZ team members or the same guy! You only signed up to post on this thread, stop the crap!
    I have tested both of then and even handshakes and to tell you the true none of then worth the money in fact the only a little decent of the 3 is HS with the new version but aether worth the money!
    phpIZABI is FREE and most of the mods are under 10$ I wish i could found that one before my site get to over 13.000 members!

Just my two cents!

DJuse, Jun 28, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.