1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying a site

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by joeychgo, Mar 10, 2005.

Ok - this is a new one for me.

IM strongly considering buying a site. Im convinced its worth the money so thats not the problem. Its a PHPBB forum that I'll convert to vBulletin, so im not worried about that. It has hosting paid until next January -

What are the possible pitfalls or things I sould make sure of?

I know I have to have the domain registration and hosting account transferred. What else do I need to make sure of?

joeychgo, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Don't use paypal if the price is over $1,000. Use Escrow.com
    Trying to save a few bucks isn't worth it.

fryman, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    why do you say that?

4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    check their # of listed pages in google, msn, and yahoo. Make sure they aren't banned or anything like that.

If you are changing the site structure, look into doing some redirects so you don't lose existing listings.

Make sure their existing user base is legitimate. They can probably allow you admin access to see that the posts come from a wide variety of IP addresses. You don't want to take over a forum and then all of a sudden see a 50% drop off in traffic. Also, touch base with existing user-community based moderators to find out about any existing issues that they want to see addressed.

Check out competitive forums and see if a better deal is to be had elsewhere. Everything is a negotiation :)

Search google groups and any other sources to make sure the domain isn't viewed in a bad light by the community in general. Once a spammer always a spammer in most people's eyes.

Check out the host too. Make sure there aren't excessive down time or bandwidth issues. Make sure they will support any additional software you foresee.

nevetS, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  5. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure how to do redirects on a forum - post for post like that. hmmm.

6. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    eggh. and is the communtiy welcoming the conversion...some crowds can be bitchy, 'specially kidz.

david_sakh, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  7. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    im not too concerrned about that stuff - its not kids, mostly older people and I am pretty good at managing a community.

8. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Also check the IBLs to see if they're not from other sites owned by the same guy. They could disappear once he's sold it otherwise

MattUK, Mar 10, 2005 IP