1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cable Modem vs. T1 / etc for Webcam Studio

Discussion in 'General Business' started by kran0z, Aug 22, 2008.

Hope someone here can help me out with this question. I'm trying to open up a webcam studio in Costa Rica (girls live on webcam/etc). One of my biggest/only problems is the cost of internet connections.

Right now I'm on a cable model line with 4meg down and 1meg up and this is costing 170$/month

I figured if I was going to try and run several webcams at once, I might need a dedicated connection like a T1.

Apparently a T1 here costs 600$/month, but it's only for 1.5meg down/1.5meg up. Though this is a dedicated line.

Does anyone know if it makes sense to have 2 or 3 'regular' cable modem connections? The price will be cheaper and apparently I'll have 2 or 3 megs up. Or does having a T1 still trump this even though it's more expensive?

kran0z, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  2. ctrq

ctrq Peon

Best Answers:
    In the US or at least where I live it is not possible to get more than one Cable connection per household. It is late 2008, go with T1, especially for a web cam business where it takes a lot bandwidth.

ctrq, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  3. jakenet

jakenet Peon

Best Answers:
    Around here in canada a 10Meg Down and 5 Meg up is like $29.95/month kinda sucks that your in an area thats expensive.

Anyway the more Upload speed you have, the better the users experience and better quality cams you can offer, and more users at a time.

Its the basis of your company. Id even recommend moving to the states and getting a T3 for like $50/month

jakenet, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  4. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Cable Modem network as far as I know is that it is a shared network and the speed of transfers is only 'at best effort' but it is not guaranteed. The more people shares the network, the slower each get. At least that is my experience.

While with a T1 connection, the speed is guaranteed and the connection is not shared until it hits your ISP and thus would be faster in most cases.

You probably also need to check with your ISP if the cable modem network can be used to host sites or streaming media in your case.

eddy2099, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  5. kaeverak

kaeverak Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised you don't have a good fiber optic option down there.

kaeverak, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  6. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    I am thinking same too... Internet connection in Costa Rica seems very expensive...

silveraden, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  7. The Webcam Company

The Webcam Company Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Greetings!

If you're still looking for help with setting up a webcam studio, or need accounts with competitive rates on sites like Flirt4Free, please contact us!

www.TheWebcamCompany.com

The Webcam Company, Jul 20, 2013 IP