1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you get funding for a website idea?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by lachlandv, Dec 20, 2010.

I have a website idea and I need funding...serious funding.
    It's a facebook killer, yea laugh it up.
    Anyway is it possible to get funding for just an idea and the designs rather than the actual finished website?
    Where should i go?

lachlandv, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  2. Dalyinx

Dalyinx Peon

Best Answers:
    You'd probably need to get a prototype up or something.

Dalyinx, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  3. coglethorpe

coglethorpe Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, you'll probably need a prototype at least. The good news is yes, you can get funding. Look to family and friends, angel investors and, most importantly, your own resources. People with connections and such can get funding first, but most of us need to build it from the ground up.

coglethorpe, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  4. dmvictoria

dmvictoria Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Approach and network with local individuals who have been successful in the internet field. Once you have met a few times start talking about your idea and ask for their advise. If they like the idea and can help you where you lack expertise, then maybe you can work out an arrangement where they can help pay your living expenses while you develop your idea. But, you may have to give up a substantial steak in your project or have to do some other service they would like you to provide. I would not expect someone dropping a ton of money in your lap that just does not happen unless you can really sell your idea to the right person.

dmvictoria, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  5. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    You would also need a track record of some kind. No one is going to dump thousands on an idea generally, but especially if the guy has failed at every previous business venture. And by failed, I mean not profited very much, not just lost money. That's no offense to you because a lot of people are in that situation right now. I just wanted to be realistic. :)

PHPGator, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  6. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You need to be a name. Mark Zukerbuerg was already known to the internet world before the likes of Facebook, because Microsoft I believe tried to buy a software application he had written but he turn it down. You also need to get yourself through a good school and go and get a job working for a start up first. Unless you can some how get yourself noticed through all the noise some other way which isn't impossible but extremely hard.

Because of the openness of the internet it's extremely competitive, you'd find it easier becoming a star on wall street now than the internet. Facebook is extremely powerful brand and anyone going to give you millions of dollars to bring it down has got to be as nuts as you are.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone had a Google killer I've been been laughing that one up for the past 5 years and nobody has poved their point yet.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    Seqqa, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  7. Mano2

Mano2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    no one can beat facebook

Mano2, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  8. imkazu

imkazu Peon

Best Answers:
    unless you have some sort of track record, I'd just work to get the capital and reinvest it into your fb idea.
    i.e. put your money where your mouth is

imkazu, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  9. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You either have to buy your way into silicon valley or get a Ph.d in Computer Science and work your way in. Get a job as a tea boy at Google whatever it takes but you need to be living and breathing the within the start-up industry.

Join one as a techie and they won't be able to pay you a salary in cash but they'll pay you with stock options every month that's how you become a start up millionaire.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    Seqqa, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  10. aaclarke

aaclarke Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You need to create a business plan and pitch it to an investor or VC. You don't need to be known by any means, there are plenty of smaller firms or individuals who are looking to invest.

It's an investors job to recognize great ideas and capable managers, notoriety is just added comfort to an investment. And Zuckerberg did not receive funding until Facebook was already launched and showing sings of success.

The point is, if you have the skill and experience, then the idea and execution of the idea are what will determine your success. The reason why known entrepreneurs seem to have continuing success is because they already have the skill and experience. Their notoriety is simply a testament to their success and will therefore make it easier for them to get funding/recruit team members/etc (as it rightly should).

Just remember that everyone starts somewhere. The most value you should expect to get out of your first start-ups is the experience. If you're successful from the start, then you're definitely doing something right. Be innovative, think different, and don't miss opportunity.

aaclarke, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  11. MyEasyCpa

MyEasyCpa Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck with your site buddy! Really do hope it does KILL facebook, cant stand that place ;)

MyEasyCpa, Dec 21, 2010 IP