1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Canadian Money

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by yfs1, Mar 15, 2005.

Add this to the list of things I never knew (extremely thick at this point)

Maybe one of our Canadian friends can verify it as I am also gullible.
    I heard an interesting thing about Canadian paper-money. If you rub Canadian bills hard against another piece of paper, the ink from the Canadian bills will leave a smear mark on the other paper. However, the bill itself will not smear.

This isn't because Canadian bills use cheap ink. In fact, this is intentional. It's a security feature that helps to distinguish real bills from fake ones, especially those done on a colour photocopier.

The person who told me this says that Canadian bills are the only ones in the world with this feature, is that true?

yfs1, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  2. dtan

dtan Peon

Best Answers:
    Future? Don't know about that. . .but ya its true. Its one of the security checks. Not too sure about the smaller bills, but works with the hundred. They also have these little green dots which you can actually pick off of the bill.

dtan, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  3. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    What happens when you picked out all the green dots? The note will be a fake by then? Cool idea though...

obenix, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  4. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't the new UK notes have this feature now, on the central panel? (No note to check :() - I'm sure I've seen people in shops rubbing notes to check?

Dio, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  5. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I just rubbed a Canadian ten dollar bill hard against a piece of white paper for about 30 seconds. I do see the slightest tinge of color on the white paper.

I then rubbed an American ten dollar bill hard against another piece of white paper for about 30 seconds. I see a very similar slight tinge of color on that white paper.

This leads me to believe that this is an urban legend.

Will.Spencer, Mar 15, 2005 IP