1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can't stop the damn cigarettes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fryman, Mar 1, 2005.

1. dakar

dakar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Booze was easy to beat, just stopped one day. The smokes.... every time I 'quit' the wife and daughter would continually offer me $$$ to go buy a pack a smokes after the first day. I thought I was pretty hard to live with in general, when quitting it must get worse <smile>. Actually did have them beat for over 6 months, then one day I just sorta fell right back into them. You know... i think I'll go grab one now :p

dakar, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    HAHA .. my address is on my web site ... send it over :D

Blogmaster, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  3. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    MMM forgot about the beer - run bars in central london soho/covent garden ect for 12 yrs ish

Dam now I have two things to give up :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fishing Forum, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Fryman, being a drinker I realised my hangovers were far worse with cigarettes so I made the choice - beer or smokes? OK, you can smoke and drive, but the house doesn't smell so bad after a drink, and that's where I spend most time ;)

Plus, when you go down the pub, the chances are you'll pull more girls if you don't smoke than if you do ;)

I seem to have inadvertantly programmed myself to feel sick after smoking and I haven't smoked in at least a year... and before that I was an ocasional smoker for about 5 years... before that a heavy smoker (Camels) for about 10 years.

The next temptation will be the summer and BBQs - but the next day I know I will regret it... usually keeps me off it for a while ;)

Lever, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  5. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    summer and bbq's. mmm. Sitting here in a smelly dorm room has made me forget about all that. To hell with occasional intellectual stimulation, I have summer to dream about....

david_sakh, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    The house, the car, the clothes ... I know :mad: I hate the morons who encouraged me to be "cool like that" when I was 15

7. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    i had the sense to turn them down. But I do have my addictions...eating, reading, xbox, music, forums :rolleyes:, self-indulgence among other things...as you can imagine, if I don't deliberately excercise every day I get out of shape in a week.

8. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    it's like this ... I wanna argue about not having any sense but ... hmm ... .

9. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    lol im not propping myself up, if anything I'm saying that all humans have their problems. I might not be smoking, but I am selfish and self-induglent.

everyone seems to misunderstand me. Maybe because I speak in metaphors and allusions and ambiguities and don't fill in logic gaps. You would have understood my meaning if you had noticed the italicized form of 'them'. I turned them down, but I was stupid enough to be lead astray by other demons.

edit; here i go with the metaphors again :D

10. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    LOL, and which Summer might that be ;) LOL

Yeah, in my case it was me, nobody told ol' Lever what to do :( But yeah, know what you mean dude, I hate my clothes and car stinking of cigarette smoke.

Now, if Cheech and Chong came 'round and left the 'baccy elsewhere, that'd be another rnatter... sweet smell o' leaf, oh yeah :D Not that I do anymore, just it smell better ;)

Lever, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    no worries, just a reality check I had to undergo :rolleyes:

12. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't know what to do with Summer... :) :eek: :confused: :(

13. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Just behold and enjoy :D :)

Lever, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  14. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Addictions have two parts: habit and addiction.

All successful cesation programs rely on dealing with hte habit first then tapering down the dose to deal with the addiction.

The Habit: to address the habit you need to identify what your rituals are and then change them up. e.g. smoke with the other hand, sitting in a different seat, smoking a different brand, with a different etc etc.

If you can go 2 weeks scrambling the habit or rituals involved you will have achieved the exuivalent of what you would first two weeks of patches or gum.

One of the main objectives is to screw with things that trigger you to smoke also, so look at changing up those 'i always have a ciggi after... food, when I get in the car, when i wake up, etc [just delay for 10 mins or more]

The Addiction: The addiction can be tapered down to half the miligrams you use currently over 4 weeks. After that stopping entirely is most doable.

So thats the 6 week program!

You'll also need to identify what your major triggers are and have a new activity to replace them (eating lollies etc) so you don't relapse and go back to square one.

Cutting Down: If you just want to do less of something, cut it in half. Only smoke every second time you want one or only smoke half a smoke.

Dominic, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Dominic, I had to go back to work in the construction business, you need your body to work the job because if you are not fit you can not survive.

That is why I HAD to quit because there is no way I can chain smoke and do the job at the same time.

Also if one can come to understand that you are paying to make yourself sick then you can beat it if you just quit buying them. I feel better when I don't smoke and my body heals much better and a hell of a lot quicker and I do not feel pain in my legs when I quit.

I understand that it is damn hard to sit at the bar drinking Scotch on the rocks and not ask the person next to you for a bump, but one has to decide if they want to be a rock and not to roll at times in life for good reasons ;) :p

anthonycea, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    yeh, seriously, being online all night is not the healthiest lifestyle to begin with.