1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing From 1 host to another

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by snowflake1000, Aug 10, 2010.

Hey guys,

Can someone tell me, i am using a e107 CMS. Eventually, i want to get around to hosting my website on another host. How do i go about doing this.

So i want to move it onto a new host..? But how?

snowflake1000, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    while I am unfamiliar with your
    e107 CMS

there are simple rules for all complex sites to move host to host or server to server I apply each time. I just weeks ago move my site to a full set of new servers.

1. you need a full .sql backup file for each database
    good is for example a mysqldump using --opt

2. then you do - SSH logged in on either of your servers - old or new host an

rsync -axv

of your entire webspace

that maintains all permissions and file attributes

then look at the path of old / new host and make corrections to all those config files where path needs to be configured
    testrun your site on new host - using IP to access files and see if all works. if you use mod_security, you may have to make adjustments to allow IP access for testing.

if you run a site on dedicated server - a host move is baby-easy
    if you run a regular hosted webspace for your site you have to look at paths and eventually do some chown/chmod

hans, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  3. TheWiseGuy

TheWiseGuy Member

Best Answers:
    all you need is a backup of your files and database.

log into your hosting control panel, whichever you have and find phpmyadmin or use any other tool your current hosting company recommends to use to manage your database.
    export your database to .sql, this will generate a complete backup of your database.
    Now login via FTP to your hosting space. Download all the contents of your website ( you must download the content of the public_html directory which can often be named htdocs, www, html etc. This directory should contain all the files of your website and cms so it should be pretty easy to find ).

Login to the MySQL management tool of the new hosting company (phpmyadmin or anything else), create a new database and user with the required permission. Import the .sql file you downloaded from the old host.
    Edit the configuration file of your cms ( no clue what's the file in e107 ) with the new database connection values ( username, password, host etc )
    Login via FTP to the new host, upload all the files you downloaded and the just edited config files.

now go to your domain registrar and change the dns values of your domain to the new dns servers your new hosting company should have sent you

TheWiseGuy, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  4. scithe

scithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget to backup your avatars directory or you'll have angry members after the move.

scithe, Sep 26, 2010 IP