1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

changing jpg image and making a transparent

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by ScottDB, Nov 2, 2009.

Hi all, I have just downloaded adobe photoshop CS3 and still trying to figure out how to use it. Was using gimp before but not really experienced in it as well.

Would like to know if there are any tutorials on how to change a jpg image and make a transparent out of the main image.

Also where is a good place to start for a beginer to learn photoshop?

ScottDB, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  2. ktkps

ktkps Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest some sites to get you started with PS:
    tutorialized dot com and pixel2life dot com

As for the transparency, saving a image as png, with the background hided will give you a transparent image

ktkps, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  3. vertabatim

vertabatim Peon

Best Answers:
    vertabatim, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  4. fattlumm62

fattlumm62 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeam save the images as PNG.

fattlumm62, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  5. ScottDB

ScottDB Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses and I am checking these sites out now. Would like to know more about the magic want tool. I know I have to save the image to png to make transparent but do I do that first before I try and make it transparent or edit it and then save to png?

I have used the eraser tool to erase all but the image that I want to become transparent. Can I use the magig wand tool to go over the erased area to make it transparent?

ScottDB, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  6. webrotate360

webrotate360 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ScottDB,

I posted a brief guide on this forum the other day on how to quickly create a transparent background in Photoshop. Here it is:

- Open jpeg in Photoshop.
    - Open/expand the Layers tab window.
    - Duplicate the background layer using right mouse click on the background layer which is locked.
    - Delete the original (locked) background layer. There's a small delete button on the bottom of the Layer tab window.
    - Create a new layer. There's a small new layer button on the bottom of the Layer tab window.
    - Drag the new layer (which is transparent) below the first layer.
    - Click on the layer with your image (not the transparent one) in the Layer tab window to make it active.
    - Select the Magic Wand tool in the tool window.
    - Click on your image and you will see that it selected the contours of your object.
    - Press delete key on your keyboard and the white background should be gone.
    - Save as png24 or gif with transparency on.

If you have hundreds of images and need this to be done quickly with great quality, we can do it for you too :) You can see the quality of our work on our website (google: webrotate360). Just drop me a private pm if needed...

webrotate360, Nov 4, 2009 IP