1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

changing more than one webpage

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by RPSPP, May 31, 2006.

hiya :)

This is probably yet another daft question from me .. butttt ...

I have created an online adult store .. its very basic as i dont know anything about html, code or anything .. i just used dreamweaver to do it.

I originally used frames .. but was then told that search engines have problems with them, so i redid it all without frames. There is 83 pages at the moment, so what i did was i created a page with the majority of the content on, which i called blank.htm and then pasted the products and 'saved as' for each page.

A lot of the pages are too long, so i am gonna have to split them into name/page1,2,3 etc so that is going to make the page list go to around 130 minimum. plus i have more things to add to each page too.

A friend said it is possible to make a blank/basic page and get everything to update at once. Does anyone know what she would be on about, or do i really have to go through all of those pages copying and pasting again ?

Any help would be gratefully recieved
    Erica xx

RPSPP, May 31, 2006 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You may use server side includes (ssi) to have the server "paste" snippets into your page. Thus, the nav menu, for instance, could be in a separate file as a snippet of marked up content, and the server would include it it each page that called it, as served. Changing the one file would propogate the changes throughout the site. As far as I know, all major web servers follow the same syntax, even IIS.

Alternatively, all server side scripting languages have an include function to do the same.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, May 31, 2006 IP
  3. RPSPP

RPSPP Peon

Best Answers:
    OH NO ! .. Did you hear that HUGE Kabooom noise ?

That was my head exploding lolol

Thank you very much for replying kk5st .. I read the link you sent, and i'm afraid it goes way over my head lol .. i'll just stick to copying and pasting lolol

Erica xxx

RPSPP, May 31, 2006 IP
  4. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well i thick this can be done by using the include tag in asp ... but dont know abt html... ;(

pratik, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  5. 907Group

907Group Banned

Best Answers:
    you can do this by server side for sure.. just play around with it to see if that fits your time load.. best luck

907Group, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  6. RPSPP

RPSPP Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you pratik and 907group .. when my little boy goes back to school on monday i am just gonna focus on copying and pasting it all over .. that server side thingie almost blew me away lol
    Erica xx

RPSPP, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  7. thelouisvilleseo

thelouisvilleseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Erica!

If you're using PHP/ASP or even HTML you can use includes to form a "template"

Here's an example in action: www.thelouisvilleseo.com

My site uses the same head/foot/right content on everypage... it helps a lot.

If you need assistance with this I'm in Louisville, KY and would be glad to help.

Have a good day Erica! Good luck.

thelouisvilleseo, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  8. RPSPP

RPSPP Peon

Best Answers:
    awww i had done some googling and found out what i could do, i started on it and then i came on here all chuffed with myself to tell you's that i had sussed it and you beat me to it lololololol
    Thank you thelouisvilleseo .. this is going to be brilliant for me i think .. i have already done one section .. i havnt changed any of the main parts yet to see if it changes on all of them, but from what i have read it should :)
    gawd knows why i didnt think of this first time round mind lolololol
    Erica xx

RPSPP, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  9. Tekntoant

Tekntoant Peon

Best Answers:
    I also use the php include() for my menu on a site that I am building. Very handy and easy to incorporate into your site. I am sure once you see an example in action you could do it, if you haven’t already.

Good luck with the site.

Tekntoant, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  10. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It can be done in html by editing the .httacess file to read htm files as php or by using server side includes. Either way there will still a lot of editting to get it all set up. But it will make future additions and changes quick and easy...

livingearth, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  11. dabontv

dabontv Active Member

Best Answers:
    try this:
    <!--#include virtual="yourpage.html" -->
    HTML:
    with "yourpage.html" as the page where the content is.
    Has always worked for me, hope that's what you're looking for.

dabontv, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  12. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello, RPSPP.
    What your friend was probably talking about is the template mechanism
    that is part of Dreamweaver. It is a good idea if you are starting
    from zero. However, now you have written eighty odd pages (for the
    second time). In that case, I would rather stick to the method you
    already used: cut and paste. Begin by creating a template. Then load
    the old page, cut the second half, create a "new from template" page,
    and paste what you cut.

TechnoGeek, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  13. RPSPP

RPSPP Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you for replying Tekntoant .. to be honest i know nothing about php etc, i just use a wysiwyg program. Once its all up and running properly, and i can see how it goes i am gonna look at learning dynamic is it ? where you have a database and can do queries etc ? .. I dont know if thats anything to do with php ? lol

Thank you livingearth. The templates are working for me at the minute :)

Thank you dabontv .. again that is straight over my head as i just use the wysiwyg part of dreamweaver lol .. the only time i have actually used anything of the html part is when directories ask me to give a link back and i copy theirs in, and when a friend sent me the script for the matching scrollbars and she give me step by step instructions of where to add it lololol

Thank you TechnoGeek .. what i did was i opened the blank i had made and saved it as a template. Then altered it to include the new bits and made some editable etc. Then did exactly as you described. I went to new from template, opened the old page, cut half of the table of stock and pasted it into the new from template one. etc etc. It is going to save me soooooo much time in the long run lol.
    oh .. and i tried the altering part which i mentioned in an earlier post and it worked \o/ wooo hooo lol

Anyway .. thank you all for your input .. you're a great bunch in here :)
    Erica xx

RPSPP, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  14. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hey there,

well i am going to a website using html.. and it will contain around 20-30 page.. and i have made the top menu in dreamweaver using css..

so i there a way bywhich i can get it on all pages... like we use the include tag is asp... and tht if i change in the main file and page gets updated automatically...

thnkz

pratik, Jun 3, 2006 IP