1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS and duplicate content

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Keone, Apr 6, 2006.

Hi,

I´m using Mambo (CMS) for my site. And although I´m pleased with it in general there is a problem I have with duplicate content. Most of the pages I could fix but the home- index page I cannot.

I have 3 the same home pages

www. name .com/
    www. name .com/home/
    www. name .com/index.php

Will for instance google penalize me for that?
    I mean whatever I do I just won't get higher in the results than arround 70

I have been thinking about redirecting but I'm not sure if that would harm me just as much. does it?

Advice please

Danny
    www.keone.com

Keone, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  2. Kat2

Kat2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If index.php is the default page that loads when you enter www. name .com, no, Google doesn't penalize for that. Not sure on the /home though.

Kat2, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  3. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    Kat2, my provider's default landing page is index.htm, and I redirect to index.php, do you think i'll get penalized by google? I wish I could fix it. On msn search I occupy the first and second places for my keyword phrase, as they list the www.blahblah.com and the www.blahblah.com/index.php. Know how to stop this? Thx.

saneinsight, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  4. phd

phd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nop, It will just come in similar pages. No penalty for that..

phd, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  5. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    These are three (3) unique URL's and will be treated as such by the search engines.

If the same content is found on three (3) unique URL's it's not unreasonable to believe that this could have a negative impact on rankings. (Google "Canonical Issues")

IMO, you should choose one (1) primary URL then redirect the other two (2) to the primary URL via 301 redirect. ;)

ResaleBroker, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  6. peach

peach Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes joomla/mambo has duplicate content issues, and they are indeed harmful to your search engine rankings. (obviously, if 1 news item has 2 urls, then different 3rd party sites will link to both articles, and on top of that the value of your own website's linking structure cuts the pagerank in 2.)

The only solutions are:
    1.Use a SEF url package and spend some time (believe me it's not easy) configuring it so that it renders correct urls only. I use Xaneon Extensions, wich is now called opensef.
    2. Disable the Category blog and/or category table. This will not take care of your homepage duplicate content, only on content item pages.

A discussion about the issue:
    forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,4259.0.html

peach, Apr 9, 2006 IP