1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS and Web Designers

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Omzy, Dec 6, 2008.

I have just created my first XHTML Strict website and have a had few people ask me to design a website for them. Now I knew I would need to implement a method for the clients to be able to update the website themselves, which is when I started thinking about creating a Content Management System.

Up until now though, I was unaware of "Joomla". Having had a play around with it, I was rather impressed and thought this would be the perfect CMS that I can provide to my clients.

However at the same time I realised that in fact anybody with very basic technical knowledge would be able to create their own website using Joomla - without even needing to pay a web designer to do it for them!

So my question is, do CMS's like Joomla and WordPress mean there will be less demand for web designers? I spent a lot of time learning XHTML Strict and CSS and plan to launch my web design company but I'm just worried it's not going to succeed.

Omzy, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  2. ariefsyu

ariefsyu Active Member

Best Answers:
    ---reply deleted. sorry, replied by mistake

Regards,
    Arief

ariefsyu, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  3. Omzy

Omzy Peon

Best Answers:
    Any thoughts anyone?

Omzy, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  4. Alevoor

Alevoor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all. Looking out of the box, I would say, it all depends on how the entire market scenario is.

Advent of cars did not render trains obsolete and so with airplanes which didn't make obsolete the cars

Alevoor, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  5. xira

xira Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a field of design called "Industrial Design". These are people who combine user experience, technical objects and design. With any CMS you are being provided with the technical tools, and you are given a few designs. The missing link is user experience. As long as clients have specific target audiences, specific messaging and marketing stratagies... designers will be needed to bring everything together.

xira, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  6. Omzy

Omzy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that Guys.

When using Joomla can you prevent end-users from changing the design of the site? I.e. I only want the end-user to be able to add/remove/modify products and articles but not change the design of the site - is this possible?

Omzy, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  7. Omzy

Omzy Peon

Best Answers:
    Bump...............

Omzy, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  8. unsponsored

unsponsored Member

Best Answers:
    My buddy designs websites for small business's via Joomla.

Simply put a loign box on a page and create a "user" as an admin or publisher so the end user can edit the content on the frontend without having to login via the admin section.

They can NEVER change up the design and if they do need something changed then you get a call and a small commission.

I dont think end users want to spend the time learning how to build a site via free cms's like joomla because they could be spending their time doing something else. And the designers that use Joomla actually spend days editing and customizing these sites so they're more "custom"

Good luck!

unsponsored, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  9. unsponsored

unsponsored Member

Best Answers:
    I would spend more time learning how to market your website instead of learning all the css and xhtml.

Marketing is going to be a direct influence on whether your website will succeed.

unsponsored, Feb 3, 2009 IP