1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS/Blog - Which to pick? Help!

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Onyx, Sep 11, 2007.

Hi Guys,

I have a pretty nice website laid out and most of my pages are in .HTML. I have a section of my site called "Library" which contains all of my articles and I am looking for a simple content management or blog script to be able to rate, sort and view new submissions, possibly user private pages if possible.

Could you guys guide me towards my best option? I was looking at joomla and such, but the script has to fit in to a 745px wide table due to my header & footer.

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks :)

Onyx, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  2. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress can do all of these things, except I don't think it will be possible to rate pages the way you described without some custom work. Then again, I'm always in favor of using Wordpress for websites besides blogs :)

Pixelrage, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  3. Onyx

Onyx Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I will look into it, are you sure members can create their own "blog"/"space"?

Onyx, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  4. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    look at www.opensourcecms.com ... they have demos of different CMSs ... Drupal has nice scalability ... but Joomla and e107 and so on are fine. Depends on what interface you like. Type3 if you dont mind a learning curve.

pj1s, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  5. Onyx

Onyx Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the recommendation,

The CMS itself has to be inserted in between the header & footer, with a width restriction of 745px. I have looked at joomla and drupal but they seem to take the whole page, I'm not sure if the templates are customizable? I guess I will have to try them out see how I like them...

Although I did hear a lot about joomla being hacker friendly... Sounds a lot like phpbb..

Onyx, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  6. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    they can't create their own separate ones, but can contribute with permission settings. If you need a CMS that allows them to create their own blogs, do a google search for "social networking cms."

I just did this right now, and found one that looks pretty cool: elgg.org

Pixelrage, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  7. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    most CMS have wrap functions/plugins... e107s works just fine. Although you'll have a little trouble with metas - but not that big a problem.

Every serious CMS also has plugins that allow user blog pages. At least as modules/plugins.

Otherwise the funky solution to that is runnning WordpressMU.

pj1s, Sep 21, 2007 IP