1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS for basic site editing

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by wizardswitch, Apr 12, 2008.

Hi there,

I am looking for a CMS (ideally free but this isn't crucial) that would be ideal for basic site editing. For example, if I create a site for somebody and they are not knowledgeable enough to edit and upload via FTP, but they can use Word, is there an off-the-shelf editor that I could implement?

I want the ability to specify the "editable" area and to allow the customer to upload images, format text and choose from a few web safe fonts.

Some of the better-known CMS may be useful for this, but for simple jobs they are just too much!

wizardswitch, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  2. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure most CMS's can do this - the one i use is Drupal.. add-in the WYSIWYG editor and you've got yourself a website that's almost as easy to use as MS-Word.

Tearabite, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  3. dylanj

dylanj Peon

Best Answers:
    I know of an ASP VBScript CMS called DT Centrepiece:
    http://www.dt.net.nz/?p=2

It's great, but you can't upload images... Apart from that, it's simple, and user-friendly. It's fun to skin, too :)

dylanj, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  4. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, I've had to deal with a true "techno-pagan" (my friend's self-description). It's actually easier to choose a sophisticated package than one that is truly "easy." However, I have found one, and my techno-pagan friend LOVES it - could operate it with only a little instruction from me and just playing around with it.

The package is called Website Baker. It has a learning curve MUCH lower than Joomla, but has surprising power to expand should someone want to go to the next level. Now, it ain't Drupal for sure - but for the average person and website, more than enough power to make a respectable show. Has a good number of free add-ons and templates. This little CMS has been around for quite some time, and has a devoted following.

Another one that has a rep for being super easy is CMSimple. I haven't personally used it, but it has been around a long time, and also has templates, add-ons, etc., while (at least from what I've read) still being very easy to use.

If you want even more simple, you'll have to do research. I tell everyone to go to Open Source CMS and look, login, and play. I cannot tell you how important it is to get a feel of a system before using it, let alone recommending it to someone else. You can also read other webmasters' reviews who have actually used or tried various systems. This is where I found out about Website Baker, and I am sure glad I learned about this gem. ;)

Bratzilla, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  5. Kel

Kel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kel, Apr 18, 2008 IP